Started by Humber, June 20, 2002, 07:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humber

This happened today.

I have voltage alarm installed inmy bike. There are three leds

Green ?stands for 14V
Green plus yellow for 13V
Yellow is 11-12V.

As I was riding through my town the green light suddenly dissapeared. Only yellow was on.

When I switched off the lights the green led appeared. But while turning  the indicator it goes in blinking.

BIKE IS IN GARAGE now, I am afraid to run it, I did stator job, and reg is placed in the front of the bike.

Everything was right up to now!!!

What should I do!!!!!

HELPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!111
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

Humber,
first, check your battery water level, and make sure all the connections are clean & tight.  then download the charging system flow chart from Electrex, and go thru it carefully.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

Lucky, everything is in perfect condition, and wires are soldered. But sth strange happened in the evening. As I told u I left the bike in the garage.

In the evening it cooled, I borrowed voltometer from my friend and downloaded those charging system guide from your page.

And something surprising happened. I sterted the bike, turned on the light, indicators and so on, and charging was OK, 14V ?at 1500 RPMS??? chceked at battery.

Can it depend on a temperature of the stator or rectifier???

Then a unsoldered 3 white wires from the stator.

There was no continuation with ground on any of them.

But, THer is One BUT.

I started the bike and measuredevery pair coming out of the stator: 1-2, 2-3, 1-3.

The voltage was 33V at 1500 rpms. Those document at your page says it should be 50???

Whats wrong, HELP I need to ride it. The temperature is 38C here.

nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

Well, according to the chart, if the stator isn't putting out 50V then it is faulty....  remeber though, those are AC amps, not DC

also, if your meter is a good quality one, then you might want to consider trusting it more than your warning lights...

Humber

Yes, Lucky I know, but I have overlooked one thing.

50V (AC I kniow) is reached only at 5000 RPM, that is what electrex chart says.

I will try today again and I will tell u later. Thanks.
nie ma podpis?w

Humber

LUcky, today I thoroughly checked everything.

There is no continuity on stator ground (every wire)

There is no continuity on regulator (red then black) with 3x white.

ANd now.

When I accelerate to 5000 rpms and I measure AC on 2 stator wires I get about 80V, at 10000 rpms about 145V.

Whats up???
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

if you got that voltage on all three wires, then the stator is not your problem, it is ok, (whew! huh? :).

did you follow the chart to the next test (C)? to test the R/R? it might not be a stator problem, it may be a bad connection where you extended the regulator wires in order to put it up front...
--Lucky

Humber

Dear Lucky, My regulator passed C test.

There is no continuity where it shouldn't be, and there is continuity where it should be.

I don't know if the results are exactly the same since my ohmometer (diode test) tells u either 1 or 0.

But according to manual all is OK.

Tommorow I am going to reconnect all of those wires together. And I will tell u everything after enginge reaches the normal working temperature - it happened under normal working temperature (does it have something in common??? temperature????)

I don't think it is the problem of front position of the regulator. I made 2000 km  and it was all right up to now.

Anyway I will remove fairings >:( today to see whats going up there.
nie ma podpis?w

Humber

And today, I finally understand the whole idea of Electrex chart as for C section.

All is OK. REgulator is PERFECT, stator is PERFECT.

All soldered once again (let me remind u that everything is tight and there is no movement on any connection either on regulator or stator. ALL is stable and connected in a way it should be. ALL IS OK as wires are concerned).

and started machine. And everything is OK.

Lights ON 2000 Rpms - 14,5 - 14,8V

Lights off 2000 Rpms - 14 ? - 14,1V

I let her idle for 30 min. The temeprature was above normal. All was OK.

So??, WHAT happened three days AGO??????? ?

PS. YES, and I bought my own multimeter. Maybe that LED voltometer went crazy???????

All in All I am very grateful to you. i am going to ride now, if anything turns out I will let u know.
nie ma podpis?w