Looking for a Helmet

Started by MotorPlow, February 26, 2004, 12:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

Okay, so I have two helmets that came with the Vision.  However, I prefer a fullface helmet.  Does anyone know a source for functional, comfortable full face helmets that aren't going to double the price of the motorcycle.  I have been all over ebay and tried searching the net, but can't find anything affordable.  I am looking for two Large helmets and a Small helmet.  Preferable in Candy Red, White or last choice Black.  I will maybe even consider used helmets in very good condition as long as they have never been dropped or in an accident.  Someone... please help.  I would like to spend less than $100 per adult helmet and less than that for the youth helmet.  Is this reasonable or am I stuck with the 3/4 helmets I already have?

Thanx for any help...
Chris

Lucky

Choosing a lid is a matter of personal choice. ?at the minimum it better have a DOT sticker on the back. ?There are those who say that if you spend $50, then you you only have a $50 head, and you need to buy a $300 helmet for proper protection.

I don't agree, last summer, comming home from the beach, I witnessed the aftermath of a case of "target fixation". A "hot shot" mechanic at the local performance shop jumped the median and took on a SUV head-on. When I passed, the rear tire was still burning. ?There is a memorial at the side of the road now

it was reported in the paper that he was wearing full gear and a top of the line helmet. Cause of death was a broken neck and brain dammage. So all the $$ in the world wouldn't have saved his life, but continued education & training might have.

I wear a $55 DOT certified helmet & try to take an MSF course every other year.. ?Check your local bike shop, they should have a full range of prices. ?be sure to pick one that fits snugly, but not uncomfortably, it will losten up a bit with use. ?be sure that it doesn't compress the ears, or leave a mark on your forehead.

if you can, go for good ventalation, but there is a lot to be said for a wet hankerchief around the neck in the summer heat.

Lastly, test the fit by trying to pull the helmet up over your head with the strap on, if you can it's way too big.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

last spring I bought a new Nolan  N100  for 100.00  it was dot,  its the same helmet I had befor which was schnel  approved, but it was  159.00 ,Nolan says the differance was the cost of the schnel certifaction  and the helmets were the same . Nolan makes  very good helmets at reasonable prices . it has  really neat blue and silver graphics the match my bike fairly well.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Humber

I had a Nolan100 helmet but didn't like it at all. It is too noisy and afterwards I switched to normal N60 which I like like very much.

The last series of N60 rapid is what u want, tight, comfortable, well ventilated and quiet.
nie ma podpis?w

packerrj

This is who I got my helmet through.  I was very happy witht he service, and love the helmet.  Mine is a flat black KBC Wolf III.

http://www.closeoutgalaxy.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=cog&Category_Code=C10000

z537z

I got a Cirus Helmet. Not the best looking thing, but it sure did save my butt when I was rolling through a field at 55mph...

I mean, I would've broken my neck immediately otherwise...

It was about 90$, matched my jacket/bike, and it beats any other I've seen. (jacket brand is Choko, it's twice as nice (and functional...kevlar and armor inserts) as Joe Bomber, and cheaper...)

_z

Lucky

Ever notice that there allways seems to be someone around with a camera when you stuff mud between the cylinders...?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

didnt know about kbc, well we have some other makes u don;t have in US, Arai or Airoh, Uvex are one of that and produce top end helmets... unfortunately cannot afford

I heard nice opinions on shoei rf900
nie ma podpis?w

h2olawyer

Choosing a helmet can be a daunting process.  Try on everything you can - at least those in the price range you're looking at and slightly above.  Getting the proper fit is as important as making sure you buy a good quality lid.

I finally replaced my trusty, old, but HOT Bell Tourstar II last Summer.  After searching all the shops in town over three or four days, I decided on a silver HJC CL-14.  I paid about $130 but they are available elsewhere (Shade Tree Powersports, e.g.) for a bit less.  Solid colors are black or silver and there are several multi colors available as well.  I'm very happy with the fit, weight and especially the ventilation.  Nice to have it full open in the 90+ degree heat of summer and still easily closes down for rides at 12,000 ft. over Rocky Mountain National Park.  It has vents that blow across the inside of the face shield that really help keep things from fogging up.  Glasses go on easily through the large eyeport too.

Good luck in your search!

Try shadetreepowersports.com - they have closeout specials that may suit your needs as well.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.