News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

POR 15 sealer

Started by Glyn Pickering, June 22, 2004, 03:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn Pickering

I know alot has been talked about tank sealants but I just wanted to know the best way to deal with the petrol tap.
Take it out during sealing and put in a bung?
What happens when you take the bung out - doesn't the sealer break and open the possibility of it to start flaking away in this area?

I'd like some advice before I have a go at sealing the tank.

Cheers

Glyn

Lucky

Just remove the petcock &  tape over the holes. The POR won't flake off when the tape comes off.

be sure not to shake the POR-15 can if it looks seperated, stir it. if you shake it it will put air bubbles into the sealer that can trap air & moisture

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kd47828

I used electrical tape to seal the petcock holes for all 3 of the applications (wash, etch, seal) and it didn't leak at all.

tizod

Make sure you patch any holes in the tank from rust BEFORE you use the POR 15.

I made that mistake and had to run out and spend another $20 on a can.   :o
Visions seem like women, Not sure what her problem is, don't want to spend more money on her, thinkin about getting another one, tricks you in to thinkin things are goin right and then just stops any communication. - Back In The Saddle

nvdranger

Not sure where I went wrong with the por-15 i did a month or two back but I have a tiny pin hole leak in my tank now :-[. ?Got keyster carb kits in and had a short ride to see how the bike ran with the new jets. ?Stopped at the corner and put my hand down to adjust the idle screw and got a bunch of gas with it. ?::) grrrr...more things to fix.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

gbranche

Quotegrrrr...more things to fix.

You're looking at the experience all wrong. Just think of it as an additional opportunity to learn...

:-)

Greg

RussD

One gets tired of learning after awhile and just wants some mindless entertainment!!    ;)
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

wolfman

Duct tape!  Worked for me...