News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

83 rear shock

Started by GT @ oh., May 01, 2007, 12:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT @ oh.

So say someone just aquired a 83 rear shock ;D.... Is it easy to swap out with the 82? Anything to keep in mind when swapping....... what should I set numbers at... being I am 180-190lbs... and most times will... "have"... to let my wife ride along as well? I hope this shock is the huge improvement that people here have said....because I have to agree with the rough ride from the 82 shock.

h2olawyer

The change is a direct fit.  Same pin at bottom end, bolt at top.  You want to make sure the damping indicator can be read from the right side after removing that sidecover.

As for settings, I have the info but it's on the Lucky CD version.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to it at the moment.  Maybe someone with an 83 owner's manual can give you the setting info.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

I just rode my brother's 82 with a newly installed 83 shock. It's an easy swap to do as long as the bolt that goes through the swingarm isn't seized. Just remeber that the 83 shock is longer so if you have the rear wheel supported when you take the 82 shock off, you'll have to lower it slightly to fit the 83 in.

He carries a passenger sometimes. He has it set to 3 on the dampning ring and 3 on the preload collar. He also has progressive springs up front.

I was impressed by the difference in the way his V now handles compared to before. Well that, and the tapered bearings....

I have a fox shox rear and progressive front setup. His is stiffer riding solo, but I kinda like it. Now I want to crank the preload up on the fox so I stop grinding my pegs off so quickly.... yeah right  ::)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

I always ride solo & have it set at 3 & 3 as well.  Need to compensate for my bulk - 220 - 230 lbs.  Tried several settings & found that felt best to me.  No upgraded fork springs in mine yet.  Would have done it this Spring, but the Pumpkin Project and the 83 fuel system upgrade cut into the upgrade funds dramatically.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ProfessorRex

I'll check my '83 owners manual in 5 mins and re-post what I can find
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Tiger

:) 3 & 3 for my 200/210 bulk :o ::) ;D ;D :D :D :D :D... ;) I fitted an '83 rear shock on "The Mistress" during the Christmas/new year holiday's. Riding has been limited, however, it does make a big difference to ride comfort/stability. I still have the '82 front end...for the time being ;)

I found, by removing the rear wheel, it makes for an easy swap out... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

You don't need to remove the rear wheel to replace the shock.  There are a couple of rubber plugs ion the fender which are exactly lined up with the pin at the bottom of the shock. Remove these, and you can get to the cotter bin and large pin to disconnect the bottom of the shock. Then just pull the tank and remove the top. 

Warning!  When I did this I pushed my shoe under the wheel so it wouldn't fall, and so that there wasn't a lot of weight keeping the pin at the bottom from being driven out.  When done, reverse.  I swapped out my rear shock (I had it rotated 180 degrees) in 5 minutes.

Brian

Lucky

you will have to move the wheel up & down a bit to get the pin to line up with the holes. 
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

I nailed a 1x1 to a 1 x6 plank (like a see saw) and wedged it under the wheel.  Stepped on the end of the 1x6 to raise and lower the tire until it was positioned just right.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

Huh, I just used my foot to raise and lower the rear wheel.  Just enough to get it wiggled enough to slide the pin in.

Of course this "pin" is about 1/2 in diameter...

Brian

h2olawyer

I used the Brian Moffet foot wiggle method as well.  Not a terribly heavy assembly to move around that way.

Was reading on the Dutch XZ site that the lower (aft) shock pin can be a real bear to get out if it's been exposed to lots of weather & become corroded.  Mine looked like new & slid out / back in very easily.  I coated it in anti-sieze just to make installation a little easier, though.

H2O

Tiger

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 02, 2007, 01:13:59 PM
...the lower (aft) shock pin can be a real bear to get out if it's been exposed to lots of weather & become corroded. I coated it in anti-seize just to make installation a little easier. H2O

:) This was the main reason for removing the rear wheel. However, everything came apart very easy and I also coated the pins in anti-seize for future work, if required.
It was also at this point that I installed an 1-1/2" round, aluminum, louvered vent in the inner lower fender...which allows the hot air from the rear cylinder/battery box/coolant bottle, etc to flow thru'... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Glyn

Why not put a different shock on? I've got a Triumph T600 shock on mine. Needs a small adaptor making, but really quite minor work.

kwells

even though the 83 shock seems to be a coveted item I think you're right.  Just about any newer shock assembly that can be adapted to fit would provide a better ride than the 83.  But just about any shock assembly from anywhere seems to be a better alternative than the 82 version.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kwells on May 13, 2007, 11:41:16 AM
even though the 83 shock seems to be a coveted item I think you're right.  Just about any newer shock assembly that can be adapted to fit would provide a better ride than the 83.  But just about any shock assembly from anywhere seems to be a better alternative than the 82 version.

I must not know hwat I'm missing.  My ride seems to be realy good without any bounce or sag in it on my 82 with 82 shock.  I'm at about 180lbs too.  I have a feeling if I ride Lucky's bike, I'll be wanting something else for mine.  :o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)