News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Fuel Delivery

Started by rbaxman, May 01, 2014, 03:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbaxman

Hi folks,
New guy here....gotta problem with fuel delivery...
I just had two '83 bikes combined into one...the old ones ran fine, but my son cosmetically totaled them both, so I had them restored into one really beautiful bike.
Problem now is my shop cannot keep it running. It will ride 5 mins or idle 10mins and then die...every time. Like it is not pumping fuel. But it seems to be. It is also too easy to start...needs no choke even cold...which makes me think carbs set too rich.
However, when she dies, i smell no fuel as if flooding.
Also...one other thing...the temp gauge does not work anymore...and that is a problem

Thoughts?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Lost in Austin,
Rob Baxter

Rikugun

The running problems are a direct result of the restoration? Maybe a better way to ask is did the running issues begin after the restoration?

It would also help to know what kind of shop it is and everything they have tried to resolve the issue. Keep in mind it could be multiple problems, not just one thing e.g. bowl fuel level (floats set wrong) and carb vent tubes pinched.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

dingleberry

What is the condition of tank, was it restored inside as well? So it is still pumping fuel fine after it stops running? Electrical a possibility when it warms up maybe. I'm no expert, just throwing ideas around. How is the tank vented on these?
You like, oui?

jefferson

Along the lines of tank venting. Have you tried running it with the gas cap open? The vent is in the cap and if it is blocked there will eventually be a vacuum in the tank and fuel won't flow. Real easy to test.

fret not

Some things to check:

fuel flows from petcock on PRIME
if yes, then fuel pump diaphragm may be the issue, or vacuum lines leaking, or float valves plugged with debris

fuel getting into the float bowls (check by removing drain screws)

proper routing of vacuum lines and fuel lines
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!