News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

S.S. Braided Brake Line's...

Started by Tiger, November 09, 2007, 03:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

You have one line with a cross sectional area of 1.25 inches going to 2 lines each with a cross-sectional area of 1.25 inches.  The pressure in each of the two lines will be 1/2 the pressure in the main line.

Tell me the physics of what you say.

Brian

ironb12s

Constant pressure is why they use hydraulic/brake fluid for these types of systems.

The 2 hose setup actually contains more hose and fluid than the 3 hose setup.  You'll have 2 lengths traveling the distance from the MC to the triple clamp rather than one...

Moreover, lo and behold, there is a US General version of the MityVac at H-Freight now...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92474
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Ron_McCoy

Pascal's Principle states that when pressure on any part of a confined fluid is changed, The pressure on every part of that fluid is changed by the same amount.  This is the basis for all hydraulic systems.

zore

2 hose or 3 hose wont make a difference since.  You are simply splitting the pressure further down the line.  My sprint also had a 2 hose setup but the second hose came off the first caliper then went over to the second caliper.  My 675 is the same way.  You can see the double banjo on the right caliper.

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Ron_McCoy on November 12, 2007, 12:06:00 PM
Pascal's Principle states that when pressure on any part of a confined fluid is changed, The pressure on every part of that fluid is changed by the same amount.  This is the basis for all hydraulic systems.

Stupid me, not sure what I was thinking at the time.  Have to dig my physics books out of the boxes they're in.

Brian

(volume? bulge?  vodka? coffee?  who knows...  funny thing is, if I actually think about the physics at the "molecular" level, Pascal's law makes sense...  )

ironb12s

Quote from: zore on November 12, 2007, 12:21:15 PM
2 hose or 3 hose wont make a difference since.  You are simply splitting the pressure further down the line.  My sprint also had a 2 hose setup but the second hose came off the first caliper then went over to the second caliper.  My 675 is the same way.  You can see the double banjo on the right caliper.

You don't split pressures, you place them in series with your setup.  The pressures remain the same at both calipers, no matter what the hose arrangements are, it just take a bit more fluid to fill a system with more hose.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

zore

I look at the long banjo bolt as the 3rd hose in whatever setup you use.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

jasonm.

I personally don't like the second hose going over the fender like the 675. That loop is a high spot for air. Triumph uses SS lines. So this is less of a worry. But just a higher potential while bleeding the brakes for air to get there.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

dieseler

Quote from: fiat-doctor on November 09, 2007, 10:03:47 PM
Yes, I should be able to offer them in a couple of weeks for quite a bit less for both models....   I have a company make them for our racecars and they have made some for my V's as well.  They use the stock banjo bolts and have the ends swaged(sp?) in place.  Very nice stuff.  They (and I) slow down in the winter so I will put in an order for some sets for us.

Steve

Any update on this?  About to start into my V as my winter project.

fiat-doctor

Sorry 'bout the delay...  I re-checked my measurements for both my '82 and my '83 and called to check pricing... 
It breaks down like this...

For a single line '82 they will run $46 plus $5.50 US mail shipping (I think it's the same to Canada, but will check).
You can specify if you have stock or '83 risers.  (you can use the longer '82 line with either, but not the shorter
line with the tall risers)

For a three line '83 style they run $80 plus $5.50 shipping.
I haven't had time to measure (very accurately) a two line setup.

They all have factory crimped on 10mm banjo fittings and use the stock banjo bolts.
I'll try to upload a pic to photobucket and post it here.

The shop makes this stuff for all manner of racecars and it's of the highest quality but
it is NOT DOT certified!!!!    Might make a difference for some peoples insurance.

I'm going to place an order for some other stuff from them first thing next week.  It will take a week to
ten days for me to get them and I'll ship them out right away.  I'm set up for paypal.

If you want any, let me know and I'll get some extras coming.  I've done this to both of my bikes
and it does make a HUGE difference.

Steve

fiat-doctor

Ok, did this send the pic?

Hope so  :)

Aelwulf

I can see it, and since I'm at work that's saying it definitely sent it. :D

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

dieseler

So when are these going to be available?

Cdnlouie

Hey Fiat Dr., I used to work at Fiat dealership back in the old days.  You indeed love challenges! Pretty nice cars as long as you keep them out of the salt.  Canadian winters were tough on them.

Can you do the stainless lines in black?  I just can't get used to the gleam of stainless steel. I'm due for a set on my 82.

fiat-doctor

Yes, Fiats and Visions....  never any spare time here  :)     

Answers to the questions:

The shop that makes them only has the shiny stainless, so no black.

I'm making an order for some race stuff this Tuesday and will order a few sets of Vision lines at the same time.
It takes them about a week to a ten days to do them.  So to be safe I'd say I'll have some lines ready to send out in
approx two weeks. 

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll put your name on one.  I order from these folks about every month or two so
it's not like it's a one time deal....

Steve

Night Vision

put me down for a three line jobber and pm me the particulars...
never know when I might need it  8)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

pullshocks

I'll get an 83 replacement.

We should do a ride when I pick it up

fiat-doctor

Update... got the lines ordered on Tuesday.  Should see them by the end of next week.  I'll PM those who are interested when I have 'em in my hot little hands and get them sent out.

Pullshocks.... yes, now that the snow has melted a ride would be good!

Steve

fiat-doctor

Got the brake lines in....  have a few sets of all flavors.  I will PM the folks who asked about them earlier and after theirs are on the way I will let the rest of you know what's left.  I will order more as needed.
Steve