News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Fork brace...

Started by Dave T., June 12, 2003, 06:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave T.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2419196165&category=35581

Here is one on E-bay. Anyone ever tried it and what were the results? Does it help the deceleration front end wobble? Where does it go? Below the horn?

Just curious,
Dave   :)
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

pat sullivan

Dave, several people on this board have commented on the fork brace you referenced with good results.  

Most front end deceleration wobble, however, is caused by bad fork stem bearings.  I'm using a Spec II fork brace and it still developed a wobble.  Replacing the stem bearings with tapered roller style bearings (Dennis Kirk) corrected the wobble.

Pat S.

DoubleVision

Hi Dave, The fork brace mounts right above the fender. It clamps on to the top of the lower alum fork leg like right where your fork seals are. Peace
Frank

Rick G

Hi Dave, I bought one, and it fits perfectly and looks  great . I just haven't riden the bike, with it on yet.  Speaking of  the deceleration speed wobble,  My bike would only do it if I removed BOTH hands from the bars.  I modified my handle bar mounting system  and  installed a Vetter Quick silver  and there was NO trace of  a wobble  , hands off or hands on !!   That was right befor my  crash. The new bike (my spare )  needs fork bearings and a stator and  a bunch of other stuff, so I won't be riding  for a few weeks yet.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Dave T.

Yo Rick, did you crash your V? The V that we went for that ride on? If you did, that sucks. :( Hope you didn't hurt yerself.
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

Rick G

Thanks  Dave,  No permanent damage , but I was as sore as a boil for about a week !  There was lots of little things  busted (lever , front master cylinder clamrp , and some smalll dents in the tank) But the real damage was to the MACs  and the swing arm mount in the frame ( the wheel sits canted to the right , at the top and isn't tracking straight.)  The instrament cluster is toast too!
 The thing that makes me mad,  I was only going 35 or 40 miles per hour!  If I had been haulin ass, I would have been paying attention!   It was a novice mistake ,  and I feel stupid about it. So anyway, I'm using it for parts  and starting over with the spare bike.  I feel like I let my best friend down!  
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Cdnlouie

Hey Rick. ?Glad to hear that old motorcylists never die they just rebuild. ?I will have to catch up on the details.

Dave, the fork brace is awesome. ?Got that one this spring and I was pleasantly surprised it made such a difference. ?I ?thought that I was probably buying a bit of fluff, but not so. ?The difference for me was dramatic: Like is this the same motorcycle?

I don't know about the decel wobble, but it drove me nuts the twitchy feeling at highway speeds ?(any unequal pressure on the bars between each hand, caused the bike to twitch). ?I think that the brace holds the bike more steady as it utilizes the rotational force of the turning wheel to do ?so. ?It ?has a ?small spoiler design as well that may utitlize air pressure ?to stabilize the wheel. ?However it works, it does a very good job.

Louie ?8)

jasonm.

I put the brace on my '83. But neither bike ever had a wobble since both have good front bearings in the steering. The '83 has higher miles. So I fugured, "what the heck".
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

Hay dave, go for it,  the one on ebay dosen't have any bids on it.
Rick G