Main Menu

Coolant leaking

Started by vavision, December 09, 2005, 12:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vavision

I noticed that my right boot was shinier than normal and had to find out why.

I noticed that I'm getting a really slow leak from the bolt on teh bottom front of the water pump housing. Anyone have this happen before?
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

louthepou

Shiny boots are cool!  :D

My guess is either improper torque on a few bolts, or the rubber seal is getting old. The seal should still be available from Yamaha. There also is one tiny o-ring that could be changed at the same time.

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

h2olawyer

It may also be the coolant drain plug leaking a little.  You may need to replace the crush washer on the bolt.  Also, make sure it isn't coming from the small weep hole lower on the engine case.

Those shiny boots help decrease the wind resistance!  ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Also check the weep hole on the water pump.  the weep hole is located below the pump. it's a tiny hole that leads to the gear side of the water pump shaft seal.  if the seal leaks coolant will leak (or 'weep') out. it's there to let you know the seal has failed.

often, because the engine is hot, the coolant will have evaporated from the case around the hole by the time you go to check it, leaving only a trace of coolant & in your case, a wet boot.  check it while the bike is running.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black