Spacers! Fingers Crossed.

Started by MotorPlow, December 15, 2005, 04:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

I swapped out my forks today. In the process, I changed the fork oil on the new forks. What did I find? Spacers at the top of the springs. I couldn't remember if my old forks had spacers the last time I changed the fork oil... Open the old forks... No spacers!  WTF! Checked the Haynes and Shop Manuals... There are supposed to be spacers there. Why did my old forks not have them? Dunno, Don't care. I just want all this damn Ice and Snow to go away so I can test ride my bike and see if I fould the reason for the head shake.  Could this be causing the shake? I have my fingers crossed and I really, really hope swapping the forks fixed this thing... I need a big hair dryer on the front of my bike to melt and dry the road as I ride.....

Lucky

probably some one was trying to soften up the ride, perhaps a very light rider had the bike before you, or else a tech lost one & pulled the other one out, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

No spacers = you likely have progressive springs. Progessive springs installed, requires the spacers to be removed. Don't throw those springs away!
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

MotorPlow

The springs appear to be the same springs in both sets of forks. Both springs are spaced evenly except near the top where the spaces are smaller. Checked the Haynes Manual and they are showing that the smaller spaces in the springs should be positioned near the top. That is how both sets of forks are. Only difference is one set had the spacers and ons didn't.

Walt_M.

I think you found the source of your head shake!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

Quote from: Walt_M. on December 16, 2005, 10:26:32 AM
I think you found the source of your head shake!

Maybe, didn't you say it shook even after swapping front ends?

MotorPlow

Swapped everything in the front end except the forks (Didn't have a second set, until recently). Now the forks have been swapped and can't test ride it due to an external build up if solidified water. My fingers are still crossed.

MotorPlow

Lucky

Sorry, that sucks!
so ok, take a breath, have a cup of coffee or a beer.
since your front end, as far as you know is tight, everything in good shape. you need to start looking elsewhere.

this problem is persistant & aparently fairly prominent.  you have to consider the bike in major units:
--frame (and engine as an integral part of the frame)
--swing arm
--body work
--rolling stock

I think you should next look at the following:
-Swing arm bearings
-frame straigtness: & by this I mean physicly making sure the frame is not bent. there are instructions, a link off Ron's home page i believe, for checking frame/ft end squareness using the string & ruler method. also, remove the bodyworkincluding under seat rails & look for dammage, repairs & unusual welds or painted area's. the bike could have been hit, etc before you had it.
-Frame torque:  if some things are over torqued, and others are under torqued, that can put strange twists in frame geometry.  for example if your religous about torqing bolts to specs, but the prev owner was not, things can be severly out of whack.  you miight want to loosen the engine mounting bolts & right side removable frame rail bolts, & give the whole thing several good jounces & shakes. settle everything in, then torque things side to side.  torqe a few, in stages, on the right, then the left, then right again, & so on till everything is done.

I still think your going to be doing swing arm bearings though...

--Lucky

MotorPlow

Thank you Lucky. I appreciate your help. I was planning on doing the Shift Shaft Seal next as I really thought that the replacement of the forks was going to solve this. While doing the Shift Shaft Seal, I was going to check to see if the Starter Clutch Bolts had been done or not and check the Balancer Nut. (Could this be a problem with the balancer nut - could it be that out of balance?)

However, I think I will move on to the Swing Arm Bearings before doing the Shift Shaft Seal. Thanx again Lucky.

~MP

Lucky

if the balance nuts are loose you get a tapping that doesn't go away over 2500. it won't cause a head shake.

I've had a slight vibration in my engine at certain speeds ever since i did my balancer nuts.  i think i may have removed them completely,,i really don't remember. if it did i'm wondering if i could have moved a gear a tooth off, if that was true could that be the vibration i feel, or would that be more noticable? nothing leaks, so if i ever need to pull that cover again i'll check it, but nothing leaks, so it ain't comming off for that!!!

--Lucky

MotorPlow

:( Well, the Swingarm Bearings check out. They appear to be okay according to the Haynes manual. No side to side play and no binding or rough spots up and down.? I never thought I would be hoping something was not right. This is getting frustrating? ????. My next step will be to remove the fairing and ride it a few times naked and see what happens.