Camshaft Sprocket bolts! Argh!

Started by Blake, June 30, 2014, 06:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

So today I attempted to take care of my camshafts and try to switch out the custom race cams with the stock ones....

However, after an hour on a single camshaft- i've nearly given up.  I simply cannot get the sprocket off.

What's the trick with these things?  I used a breaker bar, impact wrench.. nothing.    The annoying part is i NEED to take off the gears and bolts so i can swap them over to the stock camshafts.

Help!    Are they super lock-tited on?   Do i need to break out the mapp gas torch and really heat them up?

Thanks!   (bike's getting closer to running!  yay!)
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

fret not

If RED LOCTITE is used the only way I know to release it is with heat (about 500F / 260C) and brute strength.  Mix up about a tea spoon of acetone and ATF (50/50) and let it soak into the cam bolts for a few minutes.  It might help.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

NOTHING I did would get them off.  Including clamping them in a vice and using a 3ft long pipe for leverage.  In the end I thought what's the point in taking them off anyway, but then I didn't have sprocketless cams I wanted to use.

I still want dibs on the race cams if you are selling them.

Blake

Thanks Guys,  I'll try soaking them in "something" (ATF, acetone..whatever i have laying around) this afternoon and let them sit for a day..  then i'll break out the propane torch and hopefully be able to heat it up enough to take off.

I just wish i had some idea where my extra cam sprockets and bolts went.  I guess things tend to disappear when you move.

Oh, and you're more than welcome to the camshafts- i don't plan on ever running them at this point (Never have actually used them- just mounted them).  I want to put the engine back to "stock" and just ride it.   (I've been eyeing a Buell xb12r on craigslist lately, and i told myself i wouldn't even go look at it until i get the vision up and running)
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

dingleberry

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on July 01, 2014, 03:59:38 AM

...and when you get them let's make some more!

You like, oui?

per_w_aberg

If you have a tire shop near you maybe there compressed air wheel nut tool can break the loose? That seems more gentle that brute forcing it with a long wrench or risking heat treatment mishaps.

Blake

Quote from: dingleberry on July 01, 2014, 06:21:48 AM
Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on July 01, 2014, 03:59:38 AM

...and when you get them let's make some more!

You can get them made a lot of different places.  Iirc my set was $600 to do all 4.  It's not cheap.  Obviously selling mine for less

QBS

Blake, pray that you don't snap off a bolt head or two.  Just sayin.

dingleberry

Blake, did you have the cams built up and reground or completely made from new?
You like, oui?

motoracer8

Blake, heat will most likely help you remove the sprocket bolts, they were torqued to 50 ft lbs at the factory.

Before you put flame to metal, I suggest you heat them in a oven, 450/500 deg. Use a good 22 mm wrench that fits well on the cam, and a 6 point socket as the bolt is soft. Easy to round the hex with a 12 point socket.

I've removed cam sprockets on Vision engines several times to get the cam timing right. I've never used lock tite on the sprocket bolts and have never had anything come loose.

Good luck.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

The Prophet of Doom

I'll swap you for a set of cams with the sprockets attached.