Weep hole weeping

Started by Kiwi, September 11, 2010, 09:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

I noticed a decent amount of fluid came out of my coolant weephole.  The hole near the coolant pump.
Enough fluid came out that it started making smoke comming off my exhaust pipe.
Is this normal?
It was a 30 min ride, and the engine got warm enough to start the fan.
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Re-Vision

I just took an old cracked case and removed the water pump impeller. If it is more than a weep then it not normal, seals are allowing water to get past. Yamaha recommends taking to a dealer because special tools are required to replace seals. I'd buy a used side cover before I would mess with it. Not being a professional mechanic, I would also recommend a second opinion.   BDC

QBS

Replace the water pump seal.  With help from Haynes it is not hard.  Easier than the starter clutch.  Haynes says that if the weep hole is weeping, the seal should be replaced asap.  I think oil and coolent mixing results from running with a bad seal.

Kiwi

Is this the part you are referring to ?
Bikebandit.com part no. 1146099
(6349-001)

It looks like a gasket, kinda like the one on the left side engine cover.

Thanks

US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

jim328

I replaced water pump seal. Wasn't that difficult, just follow the manual. I didn't need any special tools. Best to replace coolant pipe o rings at the same time. And the oil seal inside the crankcase cover.

Re-Vision

Kiwi, The part you need to replace is Seal Mechanical P/N 1146098. The weep hole is located between Mechanical Seal and Oil Seal P/N 1776858. These two parts alone will cost over $35.
I agree with Jim328 about replacing both seals and bearing while in there.    BDC

VFan

I'm picking up this old thread in hopes of potentially adding more helpful information to this search topic.

I replaced my mechanical seal and oil seal less than 2 years ago and I notice coolant leaking out of the weep hole.  Anyone have any ideas what I did wrong?  My expectation was that it would last 5 to 10 years. I used YamaBond 4 as referenced and used a press to push it in.  Its a bummer that I'm replacing it again so soon.

Thanks,
VFan

Rikugun

That is a bummer  :(  One possibility might be the quality of the parts - were they genuine Yamaha replacements? Do you think there could have been debris in the system that excellerated wear? Any scale noticeable in the radiator?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

supervision

The weep hole is keeps coolaint from going towards the oil system. Mine have weeped over the years, but it has never gotten to the point of make me change the seal.  Run it, be mindfull of how much you are aucually losing, and decide. Now if it is pouring, not weeping, change it.
" border="0

VFan

Thanks for the comments.

To answer Rikugun's question.  I have quite a bit of scale inside my radiator.  It has never occurred to me about the potential of it causing havoc inside my pump. 

Interesting comment from Supervision.  The leakage out of the hole is enough to cause the fluid level in my radiator to drop about an inch every 2 to 3 weeks.  It is odd in that it seems to go in cycles.  It will leak one day and than go several days not leaking at all.

VFan

fret not

If coolant gets in your oil it can raise havoc with plain bearings, like rod and crank bearings.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

supervision

Yes, if coolant got in your oil, it is a bummer.  The weep hole lets the water pump seal leak without fear of it going to the oil.   They can come and go, run the hell out of it, and hope it quits leaking.   It is like two pieces of glass spring loaded against each other, one is stationary mounted on the engine case, the other is on the  back of the impeller. The rely on spring pressure, and coolant, to keep them from harming each others sealing surface, that is why they are prone to leaking, from not be perfectly flat installed, and also debri causing the faces to scratch.  One piece is ceramic, the other is some hard black stuff.  
" border="0