News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Where to relocate regulator/rectifier?

Started by msilverstein, June 24, 2003, 06:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennw

Scootertramp....
I think it's pretty funny the anybody related to a Harley should laugh at a Vision. After all, the 2002
V-rod has all the modern technology of the 1982 Vision: Overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, water cooling.
Oh that's right... The V-rod isn't recognized by the Harley die hards is it.
I love nothing more than dusting the noisy air cooled heaps off at stop lights with the old V.
Glenn
Half Mad Max

QBS

Msilver.:  The air intake for the air box is located at the rear of the air box in front of the seat.  Cheers.

msilverstein

I'm assuming that the size of the opening between the underside if the tank and the top of the frame is a dominant factor in determining the total volume of air available to the airbox's opening, regardless of its orientation.

Of course I pulled this assumption out of a random body orafice and could be completely wrong. Perhaps the consumption volumes are low enough that a blockage in that area wouldn't make a difference.

scootertramp

I was going to mount the RR on the SIDE of the headlight next to the hole already there. It would drill easily and you could use the flat nuts and  "one  Screw" that were from the original RR mounting. if you place the RR on the metal of the headlight bracket and turn it a bit you can get TWO holes drilled. ALTHOUGH I would have used only one. one is easier and would work just as well. just use a lock washer to keep it from vibrating off and take your time and do it right.
It's easy really. My bike is cranking now.  I did'nt put it on the charger  either. go figger" it cranked this mornin and again after work sooo? I still did'nt do the tests.  I will though soon. My multi tester ain't good enough.
I'm gonna have to pay somebody til I get the correct tools.
I cannot SYNC the carbs either cause my guage messed up.  :-/ :'(
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

timovision

I'm not sure how well this would work since I'm pretty new
at this R/R stuff....
I was just looking at mine today and wondering if anyone
has considered leaving the R/R where it is but rigging up an
"air duct" (I guess you'd call it that? "air scoop"?) to just
funnel air onto the R/R while the V is moving.  
Not sure if it's feasable since there is only a narrow opening
between the R/R and everything beside the battery case....
might not send enough air to do the job?
Tim

sdinino

I've thought about putting in some kind of ducting, but it would be pretty complicated because of the convoluted bends it would have to make (I was thinking of bringing air in from the right side, past the TCI). It's really tight back there.

Has anyone thought of moving it aft, toward the taillight? There's extra space back there. I never use that box where the tools are stored. It's protected from the elements and is out of the way. Maybe not the airflow up front, but at least its not being baked by the rear exhaust. Just a thought.
-- Steve D

Lucky

You don't use the box? right now I have a full tool kit, 2 beach chairs, the new Harry Potter book, a pack of smokes, half a ham sandwich & a couple of condoms in there... but it's usually not that empty  ;D ;D
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

Actually steve, that might work, except that you would need to cut slots for airflow, and a fan would work well there.  

Plus there is that yellow wire on the R/R that's "used for lighting on some (yamaha) models"  I have been meaning to call Electrex to find out what I could use that wire for (what it's rated V/A wise, etc)  poss it could be used to run a fan with some sort of ambient temp switch in between...

--Lucky

Rick G

My thoughts are that its too poorly ventilated back there,  I patterned  my repositioning  on the Zener diode  on the late 60's Triumphs, it was a bullet shapped head sink  right below the headlight. Since I moved mine  it can be touched  , even after an all day ride in the summer and its barely  warm to the touch!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

sdinino

I'm shocked, SHOCKED to learn that you have smokes in your underseat compartment.

Can I bum one?  :D

(quit 2 months ago and still want one daily)  :P
-- Steve D

Lucky

More power to you! I really want to quit, and have tried several times, even went a month, problem is, my wife won't quit, and it's really hard to try & quit when there's another smoker in the house!!!  I'll get it, eventually!

So, no you cant bum one :) 'cause I love ya man!

--Lucky

scootertramp

I quit smoking three years ago.
How much MONEY have I saved in three years?
well into the thousands by NOT SMOKING ciggaretts PLUS ciggys WILL KILL YOU. a third of all folkes who smoke DIE of smoking related causes. a THIRD? how LUCKY do you feel?
I watch the guys at my new job PUFF 'em down ..  one cat burns up two packs a day?
the government KNOWS that folkes are DIEING and they don't care cause they are making BIG BUCKS . SMOKERS are PATSIES that are being murdered for tobacco money..
but I digress...

SO when you MOVE the regulator UP FRONT do it ONE WIRE at the time and take your time and do it right . think it out and pop it ON! it is easy. just take it one wire at the time. remember to add enough slack wire to allow for RIGHT TURNING. I even made them a half a foot too long and then I needed almost all the extra. I got REALLY LUCKY so I figgered I 'd pass it on..  I mounted the RR  then I ran the wires. I got a HAYNES MANUAL on ELECTRICS. it really helped me a lot.
It is starting now. it seems to be charging.
The RR IS warm after a ride but not HOT anymore.
MOVING it seemed difficult and was very easy.

NOW I get to rebuild the FUEL REGULATOR/PUMP. ! YAY ME!!
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

sdinino

What's really sick is that I had quit and stayed away for 12 years or so - then started back up again 2 years ago. Not addictive? My ass!

Anyway, I'm scheming away at how to make the r/r fit in back. I dont' want to mess around with it up front, it's too crowded for my liking already. I'm picturing twin air scoops on the tailight housing to blow cold air back there!

-- Steve D

sdinino

LOL! I had no idea there was a "language monitor" on this board! "I disagree!" was not exactly the phrase I typed for that post!  ;D
-- Steve D

Rick G

I guess its still hanging around.  some time ago , someone mentioned having a problem with their petcock  and the language monitor  translated it  as "pet thingie)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike