News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Balancing air pressure in front forks

Started by artbone, May 10, 2009, 03:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

I saw a topic about balancing the air pressure in the forks of '83 Visions and now can't remember where I saw it but, today I faced the same problem and thought I would share my solution.

I have a small air tank I can use to fill tires etc. I pumped it up to 10 LBS and filled the forks. The tank has enough volume so that the small amount used in one fork doesn't change the pressure in the other fork.

Also, Yamaha offers a small gauge especially for checking and adjusting the air pressure in forks. The part # is in the rider's handbook and I don't have it in front of me but, if anyone is interested, I'll post it.

Art
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

Westfield Suzuki Yamaha in Westfield Indiana has the gauges for $61.62. Must be gold plated.
The part # is 2X4-2811A-00 . I like my solution better.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

h2olawyer

I have a compressor with a reasonaly accurate pressure regulator.  I set it to 10PSI & hit each fork valve.  The air volume is indeed so small that checking the fork pressure with a typical pencil type gauge will actually decrease the pressure by about 1PSI.  Best method is to find a system that pressurizes at an equal, repeatable rate & after checking the first few attempts at airing the forks, just pressurize & walk away . . . just walk away.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I seem to remember that Lucky tied them together.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike