News:

Main Menu

none standard air filters

Started by arfa vmax, October 21, 2007, 03:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arfa vmax

hi wondering if anyone as fitted none standared air filters like K and Ns and how the bike ran on them,also what alterations if any were made to the size of the main jets.The reason for this is i have just bought a 82 xz and want to turn it into a bobber/chop,but the standard air box sits high on the frame restricting tank type.  thanks ian

ironb12s

I don't think the K&N makes one for the airbox of the XZ, and due to the design of the XZ plenum with the damper door, pods are out of the question.  UNI makes a filter, but I'm not real fond of their designs...
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Rick G

You will have to find a different tank that will fit OVER the air box . This bike will posativly NOT run properly with out the stock air box . No amount of rejetting will compensate for the lack of the stock air box and its vacuum operated damper.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

Not exactly, you were discussing avalable options on air filters.  In the past we have had a few who thought they were going to toss the pesky air box and didn't get vvery far.
One of my parts bike came with a set of K&Ns  and no air box, so I tried it and ended up with a horendous stumble. I believe you can install the K&ns inside the stock box , I seem to remember it being done.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) The short format, over 25 years, is...NO!!!

Many have tried...and failed :o ;)

However, there is nothing stopping you trying... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

arfa vmax

thanks one and all for the help.I bought the bike off ebay to chop but when i collected it it was in far better condition than i had expected.after checking out this site,xz550.com and others i have deceided to restore it in its standard condition.thanks again ian

h2olawyer

Quote from: arfa vmax on October 22, 2007, 01:24:46 PMthanks one and all for the help.I bought the bike off ebay to chop but when i collected it it was in far better condition than i had expected.after checking out this site,xz550.com and others i have deceided to restore it in its standard condition.thanks again ian

8)

While I do admire custom work on Vs, I actually prefer the original look.  Some bikes - like Ron McCoy's - have modifications that are all business (performance oriented).  If I don't sell my second V in the Spring, I will likely be doing many similar mods to it.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

Arfa, thank you very very much for not chopping your V.  It would really have been a waste.  Ron's bike is the serious real deal.  Definately the class leader.  Cheers.

arfa vmax

Thanks any pictures of rons bike anywhere? Another thought about filters and stumble,if stumble is caused by the air velocity being to slow to mix the fuel and air (i ve been reading ) how about ram pipes/velocity stacks?I fitted some carbs to a vw camper and they had stacks inside the air filters.

Coil Coyle

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/uH2sG9cc?

Has a shot of Ron's bike, it's the Medium Blue chopped RK fairing Vision.

;)
Coil

Night Vision

Quote from: arfa vmax on October 22, 2007, 04:28:03 PM
..... Another thought about filters and stumble,if stumble is caused by the air velocity being to slow to mix the fuel and air (i ve been reading ) how about ram pipes/velocity stacks?I fitted some carbs to a vw camper and they had stacks inside the air filters.

the stumble is mostly due to dirty carbs and perhaps lean pilot screw settings from the factory....

both of those contributors to stumble can be fixed... tell us more about your carb

modified air box? /  vacuum flapper?
present jet settings? (mains, air pilot etc.)
are your pilot screws still factory sealed?

HAVE YOU CLEANED YOUR CARBS?

the three or five different Visions I've ridden over the last several months don't really suffer from stumble... their owners have served attention to the carbs the settings
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

NV - read the entire post.   ;)  He was curious about mounting air filter pods in place of the airbox.  The remaining discussion is what happens when the airbox is eliminated.  To my knowledge, he hasn't mentioned anything specific about his carbs.  He was wondering about the pods because he wanted to do a custom job on the bike.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ironb12s

These carbs are a downdraft style, correct?  Has anyone tried to fit different carbs, that don't need the adjustable airflow?  Certainly, there are some very good CV downdraft carbs, all you'd need do is ensure that the intake is close to the size of the boots... 8)  You could release the airbox and use whatever you wanted to filter...  I may go looking...  Anybody tell me what the inner diameter of the intake boots is?

I hate not being able to check this out for myself, I'll have y'all know...   :( 
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Night Vision

gah, so little time to read now that I can't peruse from work...
thanks for the correction h2o....

ok, so you're keeping it stock.... still, I stand by my reply and add.... check for vacuum leaks and sync your carbs too!

just say no to stumble  ;)
;D

h2olawyer

Quote from: Night Vision on October 22, 2007, 07:42:03 PM
gah, so little time to read now that I can't peruse from work...
thanks for the correction h2o....

ok, so you're keeping it stock.... still, I stand by my reply and add.... check for vacuum leaks and sync your carbs too!

just say no to stumble  ;)

No offense meant - just read your post & kind of did a "huh?".  The rest of your info is golden, however!

H2O

Night Vision

none taken

just didn't want a_v to think that "stumble is caused by the air velocity being to slow to mix the fuel and air"... and that's what I locked onto

quite the contrary.... the stock setup probably has too much air...
that's why there's the nickels and the restrictor plates and flapper adjustments to compensate....

(I was just embellishing the reply in case others "stumble" across this thread, get it? stumble? hahaha ... ha)

;D

h2olawyer

Rick G

There was a fellow in Australia  who was attemping to put some other carbs on, something like a webber . As I understand it the Mikuni  on the V, is  based on a webber design. The reason for the oversized down draft carbs was of coarse  for max performance . The origonal 1982 design air box used a balance spring , which was inadiquite and  did cause a stumble  . Some mechanics acheved  an improvment by epoxeing a nickle  to the flapper door,  so it would close earlier and richen things up a bit.  In mid 82, YIC made an improved air box top available , with the damper.
AV,  if yours has the damper  it only needs clean , properly adjusted carbs , to haul the mail.
many of you alrady know all of this,  but I thought  for the benefit of our newbys I'd go over  it again.
Rick G

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

arfa vmax

thanks again everyone,i have only just bought the bike and have not had chance to get it running yet,the p o said it needed a battery and the carbs were flooding.I wanted a twin or a single for a chop,front sets,different style tank,rear end cut off low single seat that kind of thing.when i took the tank and seat off for a look i found the airbox mounted high up as it is.this started the ball rolling about filters and i browsed the net to find as much info about the xz as i could(know your enemy i always say).However its kind of growing on me so i think it is just going to be left original.