What's the difference between '82 vs. '83?

Started by munkyfistfight, July 18, 2008, 01:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

munkyfistfight

Hello ROV.
My uncle is a motorcycle mechanic and is insisting that I try to resurrect my Vision project.
My Vision is currently residing in my sisters basement in Atlanta (I live in Pittsburgh now), so I'm considering bringing it back up to PA.
I got off the phone with him today and he mentioned to me that he found a "83" XZ550 through a buddy of his in "mint condition" and this guy wants $1450 for it. (the one I have is definitely an 82)

I still have yet to see the bike (and even verify that it's a Vision for that matter), but I'm curious and have my gears turning....

What are the biggest differences in the 2 years? If this "83" bike is really a Vision and in good shape, could I possibly use my 82 as a parts bike? How interchangeable could I possibly go with this?

So far I'm led to believe that this '83 doesn't have the full fairing and has some sort of aftermarket exhaust that's in good condition.

Thoughts? Anyone?

:P ;D :D
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

Rick G

The '82 can provide some usefull parts for the '83 , but many parts are different . Still I would go for it , if its a clean as they say!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Things the 83 has that the 82 doesn't (a mostly complete list for US Visions):

dual front disc brakes
full fairing
shorter handlebar risers
rider pegs set farther back
140 MPH speedo
fuel gauge
rear shock with adjustable damping
glossy rear tail cone
gold wheels
black swingarm
black exhaust with slightly different ID on the front tubes (smaller?)
different carbs
different petcock
fuel sender in tank
black stripes in aluminum passenger peg brackets
minor internal engine change - don't remember exactly what it was, though
100/90-18 front tire (82 OEM size was 90/90-18)
gold headlight rim

That should cover most of the differences.  If it is an 83, and in "mint" condition - which I wouldn't call one without the fairing & with an aftermarket exhaust - it is well worth the asking price.  If it is an 83, but with missing parts / swapped parts, as you describe, it is still worth a bit more than an 82 in comparable condition.  The 83 upgrades do, for the most part, make the bike a better ride.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

one you can find beat up fairly often.....the other you can't find
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

Rick G

As I remember it, the flywheel is one mm smaller in diameter. Also the radius on the rod journals is different.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

munkyfistfight

Thanks for the list, but my godfather was mistaken when he went to look at it. I went and saw it yesterday and it's clearly an '82. The reason I asked is because I have an '82 parts bike and was wondering if I bought an '83 would parts be interchangeable. But anyways.....

I went and saw this Vision at this shop in East Pittsburgh, and I'm smitten with it. It's all black, Spec II exhaust (?), I was told the carbs were cleaned and new intake boots added. It has 12,700 miles, there are a few spots of rust on the swing-arm, the tires appear to be in decent shape. The kickstand switch appears to have been cut, along with another wire (I couldn't see the colors). From what I hear, it's had one owner and was garage kept. There are 2 small blemishes on the left side of the tank that appear to have been covered over with paint. Aside from that the bike looks spotless and runs. They want $1500 for it. What do you think?
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

inanecathode

Quote from: munkyfistfight on July 26, 2008, 02:29:34 PM
Thanks for the list, but my godfather was mistaken when he went to look at it. I went and saw it yesterday and it's clearly an '82. The reason I asked is because I have an '82 parts bike and was wondering if I bought an '83 would parts be interchangeable. But anyways.....

I went and saw this Vision at this shop in East Pittsburgh, and I'm smitten with it. It's all black, Spec II exhaust (?), I was told the carbs were cleaned and new intake boots added. It has 12,700 miles, there are a few spots of rust on the swing-arm, the tires appear to be in decent shape. The kickstand switch appears to have been cut, along with another wire (I couldn't see the colors). From what I hear, it's had one owner and was garage kept. There are 2 small blemishes on the left side of the tank that appear to have been covered over with paint. Aside from that the bike looks spotless and runs. They want $1500 for it. What do you think?

Too much. Maybe with no rust at all, under 10k miles, no wires chopped, and maybe better paint it'd be worth that compared to any other bike. It really depends on what you're looking for, you wont really find another vision in that good of shape so its worth whatever you'd be willing to pay for it, the rarity of visions being what it is.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

vadasz1

I would offer him something like $800-900 C A S H ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

And if he is hesitant I would tell him that the bike has been modded past factory specs and then offer him $1000.  See if he lets go then.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

munkyfistfight

That sounds more reasonable. I would even probably give him $1200 if I knew it would run smoothly out the door. I'm planning on letting him know that I already know this bike is going to require alot of preventative maintenance.

They tried to tell me since the shop put all the time and work into it that it's worth $1500. (This is actually the reduced price. They wanted $1700 previously).

sorry, not the best picture quality.

Lucky

Vision & all motorcycle prices in general have been rising this year as well...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

Quote from: munkyfistfight on July 26, 2008, 06:02:05 PM

They tried to tell me since the shop put all the time and work into it that it's worth $1500. (This is actually the reduced price. They wanted $1700 previously).

then ask them if it comes with a 5,000 mile warranty  ;)

I'd bet it will be there for awhile longer @ $1500

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

It would be really good to know if the starter clutch has been reattached and if the starter motor has the spring lip oil seal upgrade.  Also, all bets should be off until the bike is ridden to see how well the carbs are dialed in.  If it's running really good with no or very little stumbling, it will be worth closer to what they are asking.  At $1500, with its cosmetic issues, the two upgrades listed above should have been done(they're probably not), the stator should be putting out at least 13.5 volts at idle, and it should run at least 8.5 on a 10 point perfect drivability scale.  Otherwise, $875 to $1050.

If they got the bike on trade in they probably gave $400 for it.
Take a multimeter with you and check out the stator output.
Keep in mind, that if it doesn't have the above upgrades, you will shortly be doing them yourself.

Tiger

:) If you want a nice "TIGERIZED" '82...I have one nearly ready for $1,000.00...ALL the necessary upgrades will be complete when she's done. She just needs a good home 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

munkyfistfight

Tell ya what, Tiger, if this deal doesn't go through, I'll definitely be interested in snagging your '82. $1000 cash? I'd prefer the black one I just saw, but if it had your personal touch, I'd assume the "Tigerized" version was worth the money.

Thanks alot for all the input. I think I can make a good offer and get a workable bike out of it. The one I have would make a great parts bike and I have a brand new stator in that one that I can use as backup. I'm going to see if I can get a test ride on Monday. My uncle is going with me since he's a lisenced rider and can test it for me.

I've read about it before, but what's the Vision Stumble like? What should I look for? I already know that these carbs can be pretty finicky. Am I going to have to dip them, re-jet them, and re-sync them, etc. ?

When I go in on Monday, I'll definitely take a serious gander at this bike and have my multimeter with me.

Thanks alot guys.

inanecathode

Quote from: munkyfistfight on July 27, 2008, 01:14:55 AM
Tell ya what, Tiger, if this deal doesn't go through, I'll definitely be interested in snagging your '82. $1000 cash? I'd prefer the black one I just saw, but if it had your personal touch, I'd assume the "Tigerized" version was worth the money.

Thanks alot for all the input. I think I can make a good offer and get a workable bike out of it. The one I have would make a great parts bike and I have a brand new stator in that one that I can use as backup. I'm going to see if I can get a test ride on Monday. My uncle is going with me since he's a lisenced rider and can test it for me.

I've read about it before, but what's the Vision Stumble like? What should I look for? I already know that these carbs can be pretty finicky. Am I going to have to dip them, re-jet them, and re-sync them, etc. ?

When I go in on Monday, I'll definitely take a serious gander at this bike and have my multimeter with me.

Thanks alot guys.

For me at least, the stumble is just an rpm range/throttle usage that it just doesnt like. I mark it up to being 25 year old carburators myself.

h2olawyer

No rejetting should be necessary - unless someone changed it before.  A thorough trip through the dip and some time spent making sure they are clean & properly adjusted will make stumbles a very rare occurrence.  I recently swapped the original carbs on mine with a set I knew worked well.  I may have had one or two very minor stumbles in the 300 - 400 miles since the swap.  That's riding in elevations ranging between 5,000 - 12,000+ ft.  When they're right, they work great.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Inane, its not 25 year old carbs , they stumbled when new , thats why the '83 had the carb change.
They didn't sell well and so a lot of them layed around in a warehouse  , with the gas stagnating and screwing up the carbs.  By the time the left over '82's were sold  they had been in the crate, 2 to 4 years and ran like crap. Dealers didn't want to put any time in them to clean up the carbs , so they hit the road and added to there reputation of stumbling.
Rick G

inanecathode

Quote from: Rick G on July 27, 2008, 02:34:06 AM
Inane, its not 25 year old carbs , they stumbled when new , thats why the '83 had the carb change.
They didn't sell well and so a lot of them layed around in a warehouse  , with the gas stagnating and screwing up the carbs.  By the time the left over '82's were sold  they had been in the crate, 2 to 4 years and ran like crap. Dealers didn't want to put any time in them to clean up the carbs , so they hit the road and added to there reputation of stumbling.

Ah, but i drive an 83!
So the plot thickens!

Rick G

I've spouted off before , Yamaha was trying to cure a problem that didn't exist. There nothing wrong with the '82 carbs IF there clean and adjusted.
"'83 carbs are fine if there clean and adjusted.  Its just that there are so little in the way of spare parts for them.
Rick G