Main Menu

High Volts

Started by cvincer, September 17, 2013, 03:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: supervision on January 12, 2014, 05:17:02 PM
Does anyone know what happened to the thread with the old news letters??  I have looking can't find, thanks

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=12221

Rikugun

I'm glad you responded supervision, this is a good topic for you! What Brand charger is that 500 mA one you're using? I guess it's more of a trickle charger than a floating charger?  Sixteen sounds a little high.

POD and cvincer - what brand and how many mA charger do you guys use?

One vote each AGM vs. Flooded for best resting voltage - we need a tie breaker.  :)
Does it depend on the type of charger one uses?

I can't comment as I've only had flooded cell but find myself in the position of needing a battery this season. Gel? AGM? Flooded?
I'm not completely sold on Lithium but I haven't ruled it out either.  ???
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

supervision

Thanks for the resources thread location,  The charger is called beebe model no. D7-10-o1   INPUT 120V OUTPUT 12VDC 500mA Hook it to your battery, and watch how slow the voltage climbs. On my newest AGM I was having trouble getting it up to 12.8 v resting, the  the 1/2amp would do barely 15 volts. After hitting with the 1/2amp, I resorted to my 6amp charger, it only was pulling 1.5amps and the voltage steadily climbing in hour it was almost 16 so I stopped charging. The next moring the resting v12.8.
" border="0

supervision

The lithium is not good for this bike, The only good thing about them is they save lots of weight, Lithum are not made to crank much, these bikes don't start that easy. Flooded battery will do the job, but they don't have the CCA of the AGM. The other thing is you have to maintain the water level, the next disadvantage is the hose and the acid mess.  Next disadvantage is you have the need a constant tending, to keep them up.  The AGM stays up much better just recharge when it gets down to 12.5.
" border="0

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: supervision on January 12, 2014, 10:21:36 PM
The lithium is not good for this bike, The only good thing about them is they save lots of weight, Lithium are not made to crank much, these bikes don't start that easy.

The Motobatt MBTX14AU and the Shorai LFX14L5-BS12 both have identical CCA(210).  I know specs aren't everything - Have you tried these and found the lithium lacking? 

I've got a Shorai in the cupboard for my good bike, and I can sell it while new if it's going to be shit.

supervision

Art Bone is running one also, I will read up and give better opion
" border="0

supervision

Search: ADVrider motorcycle batteries agm, gel lithum, they show they may be the best way to save weight, they are not really able to produce the CCA they claim.  The other thing to be ware of is they can have bad problems if more than 14.4 volts while running.
" border="0

The Prophet of Doom

Thought I'd best check in light of prior posts.

This is my brand new Motobatt AGM.  Came off a full charge yesterday and I recall it read 12.4V, now reading 12.6V, but it's 10 degrees warmer.  The maximiser voltages match readings off my DVM

Don't recall exactly my lead/acid voltages, but fairly sure a fresh charge was something over 13V

Rikugun

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on January 13, 2014, 01:18:56 AM
Don't recall exactly my lead/acid voltages, but fairly sure a fresh charge was something over 13V
That's been my experience with (flooded cell) batteries too. After a few days of sitting unused it settles down to 12.5-12.7.

I won't use a 10 amp automotive charger and baby sit it. Sixteen volts at 1500 mA is beyond the recommended for a 14 ah battery. That was after fully charging on a conventional motorcycle battery charger. If the battery were low and one were to use the 10 amp charger I imagine the charge current may be considerably higher. Sounds like a dangerous game. My understanding is once a VRLA battery has been overcharged to the point of safety valve release there is no way to replenish lost electrolyte.

It seems that from a practical standpoint using properly functioning bike charging system and industry standard motorcycle battery chargers there is little difference in resting voltage between flooded and AGM (gel too?) batteries. The advantages seem to be higher CCA, no maintenance, no fouling from  acid misting, and no hydrogen leaked during charge cycles. Is this more or less accurate?

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

supervision

OK Motoplat AGM, ideal is 12.8 full charge, I just looked at mine was 12.75 My last AGM lasted 9 years I had would get up to 12.8 and stay. I might try building this new one up one more time, see if I can get full 12.8 at rest.  The place I buy batteries showed me a lithium battery that looked like a football, expanded from charging problem.   What do you have to charge you AGM??
" border="0

cvincer

G'day Rikgun.     I've never had to charge up the AGM battery with a charger.

When I noticed the 16.5v @ 3000rpm I did attach a charger for a couple of minutes (battery disconnected from the bike), to see what the battery would pull ....... & it was 14.56v.

I don't have a 'real' charger.   For a conventional lead/acid m/cycle battery I have for years used domestic appliance chargers that I have lying around in the shed.   One is rated at   12v / 1amp (which I used to get the forementioned 14.6v),    the other   12v / 500ma.

I was recently away for 3 weeks, & still found  12.95v in the AGM on my return.      I used the bike 2 days ago &  it's showing  13.03v at the moment.

Pity about the high volts,   hot rectifier,   dead stator.

Rikugun

Just noticed this battery is only 12 amp hour where the stock flooded cell would be 14. Not that this has anything to do with the crazy charge voltage (?) but just wondering if this is typical of AGMs. More CCA but less amp hour rated?

cvincer

Sorry have almost zero knowledge of how batteries work, so can't comment on amp/hrs relationship to cca.

Re your pm ....  (a) yes have put in a new stator, that's why I'm worried about the high volts destroying it as I suspect the high volts destroyed its predecessor,  (b)  besides the other wiring suggestions I've had in this thread, I used a spare battery negative lead to provide an EXTRA  earth for the R/R, but still high volts.