News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Cam shaft woes

Started by Buffo, April 20, 2005, 01:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffo

i have a broken front cylinder intake cam shaft.
it snaped in half. literally
i dont know what caused the break.
what other if any damage could have resulted from my broken shaft?
secondly i need an intake cam shaft. does anyone have a used one i could buy?
are there any secrets to removing/installing said cam shaft?

my bike is broke. :'(

Don

Buffo

h2olawyer

;D  Figured you'd get shafted by somebody here!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

What's up with the broken camshafts? First Paul Jungnich lost one on the rear cylinder, now this one on the front.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Dynomite

Help! I have a broken camshaft too! Front intake has snapped right by the left lobe. Doesn't run so good...

Can anyone help with a spare one ASAP, the engine is being used for a university research project and the guys are just trying to obtain data from it.

Thanks if you can help out.

Cheers,
Dyno.

Dynomite

Uh, make that two... one intake on the front, one exhaust on the rear. The guys tell me that it was run without water for about ten minutes last week, I'm guessing that the heads expanded in different directions and fatigued the cams until they broke. Rest of the engine still seems OK though.

haunter

I have a set of spare heads with cams
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

glennw

Dyno...
Maybe the guys in the research department should research what those pipe nipples coming out of the engine are for before they run the engine..?
Better lock it up when your gone!
Seriously , Good luck on the project!
GlennW
Half Mad Max

Night Vision

how's the fuel injection coming anyway? ready to share a tci / cpu / fi / omg setup with us yet?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Dynomite

Quote from: Night Vision on August 15, 2006, 07:19:03 PM
how's the fuel injection coming anyway? ready to share a tci / cpu / fi / omg setup with us yet?

Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks haunter for the offer of heads. We found some cams at a wrecking yard here and she runs again. Front inlet cam is very noisy (4 thou clearance), I wonder if it is out of a rear head and is actually turning backwards? Anyone know if the front and rear cams are different profile?

Re the EFI... Well, it is working, but needs a lot of development (years) before being a commercial product. Currently it only handles fuelling, with the spark still done by the factory V system. IMO it isn't ever going to be a useful system for a V. The guys working on the engine are testing intake resonance tuning theories using different length manifold runners, the EFI system is being developed by a friend of theirs as a hobby.

My experience was that Yamaha did a pretty good job of matching the timing curve to the engine, and I couldn't get any more power out by changing the advance curve.

They also did a reasonable job with matching the carbs, as I couldn't get more than a whisker more power on EFI. Driveability might be better off-throttle with EFI tho.

Dyno.

Night Vision

thanks for the progress update... guess we'll just keep on keepin on, actually I'm pretty happy with the xz as is... ok, that's a lie... couple more tweeks  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

haunter

no problem, glad you got it working
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.