News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

How many miles before reserve?

Started by Rikugun, June 17, 2012, 05:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

I finally took Tiger's (and others) advice and made some holes in the filler neck. Wow, what a difference!

The volcanic eruption got me once and my brother once while on loan to him last summer. This quaint little feature of the Vision's tank has always kept me from topping it off properly or getting more than 120 miles to reserve. The first fill after the mod I was conservative but increased the amount each time - even filling it when hot - and haven't had an incident yet.  Yesterday my cousin and I rode to the Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area and I went 181 to reserve then got gas at 189. It took 3.274 gallons to fill it to where I started (near as I can tell) so the mileage wasn't bad either at over 57 mpg.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

cvincer

Any chance of a photo, showing where you drilled the holes??

Rikugun

When this topic has come up I've asked for pics too but never got any. Subsequently I winged it as I had only vague descriptions to go by. In retrospect it's not easy to get clear pics (maybe that's why no one posted before?)  :P  but after several attempts here are two. I opted for the outer or "back" ring. You only have to pierce one layer but it probably limits how full you can have it as the holes end up somewhat low. I think it makes it safe to fill at least where it's designed to be which is more than I was able to before. I did 3 holes: front, left and right.

The first pic is the front and I took advantage of the cutout for the lock tab to get it higher. It's higher than it looks which is why it's partially hidden by shadow. The second is of the right side and is the lowest. The third I could get up higher because of the offset cap which is nice because it's the high point of the tank. Due to it's position shadows obscure it so no pic. I may do one more hole at the inner ring maybe 20mm down from the top of the filler neck. Hope it helps and if anyone would like to post pics or has a better suggestion for placing them it may help someone looking to do this mod.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Lucky

Even with a centerpunch & Dewalt centering bits, I broke 2 bits. had to fish em out with a magnet...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Just use a sheet metal scratch awl Mine has an 1/8 inch hole on the right side , so that the hole is highest when the bike is on the side stand. I usually gas up on the centre stand too, but I make the hole on the side stand, easier to see.
Some how the message got butchered in spell check.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Rikugun...In the first picture, were you can see the damp patch (light/dark area) on the 'top' shoulder just above your drilled hole...Drill through there, it is a double drill shot!!! Then you do the same again right opposite that hole...VOILA!!!

This will allow air in the gas tank to fully evacuate and give you a wee bit more gas to the tank ;)

RickG makes a valid point, however, I always fill up using the centre stand... ;D

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rikugun

Tiger, thanks for the input. That's exactly at the 20mm position I mentioned putting the 4th hole and where I should have put them in the first place.  :) I also fill mine on the centerstand and it was on the stand that it happened the first time about a minute after filling it. My brother's experience was on his way home just after filling when the bike was upright as well.

I'm not sure what you guys did to contain the chips or retrieve them once inside the tank? The notion of breaking bits and having to retrieve them doesn't sound fun either. I chose a cave man approach which worked well and avoided those pitfalls.

Tiger

Quote from: Rikugun on June 18, 2012, 08:31:56 PM
Tiger, thanks for the input.

I'm not sure what you guys did to contain the chips

1 - Your welcome... 8)

2 - Elementry my dear RK...a magnet to catch the bits works just fine and dandyOh... ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!