Main Menu

Running Rich

Started by thisandthat, July 06, 2009, 02:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

fyi:

If your sync rod or connecting brackets are corroded or rusty, toss them in the carb dip overnight.  They will come out looking brand spanking new!
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Kiwi

i agree, great for old looking nuts and bolts as well
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

thisandthat

Is this were the sealed off idle adjustment was? I think someone had already taken off for me, how nice.

Night Vision

most peeps leave the butterfly in...  :-\

yes, that is the pilot screw cave... the pilot screw also has an o-ring, washer, and a spring... if you haven't seen all the bits, they're still in the cave.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

thisandthat

Thanks, well cleaned them (hopefully clean)
Those pilot screws should be about 3 turns out as a starting point right?
The YICS shouldn't have a leak between the two pipes correct? I have a slight leak between them, how sensitive is this to small leaks?

Tiger

Quote from: thisandthat on August 31, 2009, 07:10:00 PM
I have a slight leak between them, how sensitive is this to small leaks?

:o VERY....Just cap the YIC's off at the cylinders, until you repair or replace it. I, like many, run without it altogether ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

Quote from: thisandthat on August 31, 2009, 07:10:00 PM

Those pilot screws should be about 3 turns out as a starting point right?

that should get you close enough to start up so you can sync the carbs. the YCIS has to be capped off during syncing anyway.... so don't worry about the leak right now...

I set my pilots with a highly accurate ::) $20 lawnmower tach
then sync my carbs at 3500 rpm
then tune out an tiny blurbs (1/8 turn or so) at 3500 rpm
works for me
;D

thisandthat

It should idle around 1300 right? How do you know which to adjust?
Thanks

Night Vision

1300 is the idle speed spec for an 82.

with a digital tach, it's easy to see the highest rpm while adjusting both screws (one at a time)
I can't hear 25 or 50 rpm difference, but I can read a number... when I tune any high speed skip or burble out, the RPM varies very little if any with those 1/8 turns

1/8 turns can make a big difference... not so much in rpm, but getting any tiny last stumbles out around 4500-5000 rpm.

again, it doesn't hurt to increase that idle speed when tuning the pilots... makes it easier to see, or maybe hear the increase or decrease in rpm.

the only disadvantage to my "high speed" method is: 'ya gotta be quick! she heats up fast when sitting at a stand still.
a large box fan would help...

again, this works for me... others will disagree and poo pa... ymmv
;D

thisandthat

Ok I think I get it so far, but how do I know which carb to adjust? Theres only one adjustment point on each carb right, the one mix valve?

For example there is a throttle stop on one of the carbs, I've got it adjusted all the way back so its not effecting anything. Now I want to get it to idle at 1300, so I'll play around with the idle mix on the bottom of the two carbs, should I just keep them exactly the same number of screw turns out, or are they going to end up different?

On a side note, whats better the vacuum gauge style or the mercury style of carb sync tool?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carburetor-Synchronizer-carb-sync-Gauge-CB-450-500-650_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem5882ecfd93QQitemZ380153691539QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carb-Sync-Mercury-Tuner-W-5-6mm-adapters-Motorcycle_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem58827903deQQitemZ380146090974QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools