Swingarm movement

Started by The Prophet of Doom, October 28, 2011, 06:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

I've replaced the bearings in my swingarm - they were rusted to buggery, but even so there seems to be an unreasonable amount of sideways movement.  Not slop exactly, everything is tight.  The bolt didn't jiggle, but when the swingarm was in and I push hard I can make it move sideways - maybe as much as 10mm.
Is this normal?

Rikugun

Did you reuse the bushing and is it a snug fit in the new bearings? How loose is the bolt in the right side mounting hole - and through the frame for that matter? If all is within tolerance such that there's no "jiggle" as you say, I'm guessing it's flexing. I think some flexing may be normal for this bike although I don't know if yours is excessive or not. 

As much fun as the Vision is to ride I recognize it's foibles and one (IMO) is the swingarm and it's mounting. The right side mount is simply round tubing flattened and drilled to accept the pivot bolt. Quite crude. The left side's bell shape is stiffer but only attaches with threads at the inboard side for obvious reasons. The width of the mount is narrow. This all adds up to a swingarm that is prone to flexing.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Kenny

I'm not sure of the exact measurment required here but believe it shouldn't be more than .005, you should have shim washers that will adjust & give you the proper amount of play.
                     Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92