Engine differences - 82 vs 83?

Started by sdinino, May 30, 2002, 08:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdinino

I've been wondering if there are any differences between years on these engines. I'm mostly interested in the heads - can you use 83 heads on an 82? Any info would be appreciated.

-- Steve D

Humber

As I saw through my Yamaha manual, it says nothing about differences as heads are concerned. The only difference I noticed was in crankshaft.
nie ma podpis?w

Humber

And anyway, what is the difference between those to crankshafts??? Manual says that they are not exchangeble (82, 83)??
nie ma podpis?w

ricks_83

yamaha had problems with early vision cranks and made them out of stronger material the 82 crank has the same dimensions

jasonm.

There is a difference in the head gasket material. The '83 uses a full metal type. The '82 uses a composite.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

qqbs

Seems like I read that the rubber intake manifolds on '82's are smaller in inside diameter than '83's because the '83 has bigger carbs.  Cheers.

ricks_83

got the heads off my 83 and 82 sitting side by side and dont see any diff the intake manifolds seem to be the same i will be putting it back together this week and can send e pictures or web cam in garage will be done this tuesday. i also will be doing the bottom end  and i  have a 82  and 83 if any one has any questions  i will be glade to help and hope to hear from any one that has done there bottom ends i have done top ends but have not done the bottom  wristpins  need to be bushed and the cases need to be split to get the rods out. any one have part # on the 82 83 rods i have set of 82 rods i can use but if they are differant i will have the 83 bushed.  

well back to work will talk later