News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Water Pump Impeller

Started by Jeff, February 18, 2002, 05:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Fellow Visionaries,
 The water pump on the ole vision just went south friday on my way home from work.  Antifreeze coming out the weep hole and dripping all over the righthand pipe.  Since I have to take it all apart, I want to replace all the pieces. Just called dealer and they can get all the parts I need except the impeller.  It's been discontinued.  Any ideas where I can get a new impeller?  

jeff

Dave T.

Sounds like you are going to have to get it from either someone in this fourm with a parts bike, or one of many online sites where you can advertise as wanting one. Ebay maybe can help too.

I don't think the impeller separates from the shaft either. I wouldn't replace the impeller if the mating surface is OK and it is part of the shaft seal. If the impeller isn't half gone or worn badly I would re-use it. The important part is the ceramic and carbon sealing surfaces, they must be shiny and smooth.

When I drained my coolant this winter, I also noticed a little coolant coming from the weep hole. I don't know yet if I have to replace my seal also. I'm going to run it and get it up to pressure and see what happens. I see you have to remove the clutch cover to get the impeller out to replace the seal  :P. There are many parts that are discontinued on the Vision, so you have to try to find one sitting on a dealers shelf or get something off a parts bike...   :(
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

gaillarry

I used an impeller from a Yamaha Venture (86 model).  The impeller blades are slightly larger but the fitting is the same. I removed part of each blade with a dremel tool to make it fit on the Vision.   Yamaha still stocks most Venture parts.

Jeff

Thanks for the help.  I just received all the parts for my waterpump and re-installed the same impeller.  Went for a test run today and all is well. :)
                                                Jeff

Humber

HEYyyy, don't believe u. Two months ago i ordered whole water pump at my service in POLAND. They have no problems, and all parts were delivered in 3 weeks time!!!! Anyway, i think you don't need to replace impeller, unless it is broken. The porcelain seal can be exchanged.
nie ma podpis?w

gaillarry

OEM parts in Poland!!!  Could this be a new source of parts.
What's the price of the water pump?

Lucky

Just for informational purposes, the "ceramic" seal is no longer made of ceramics, it is a carbon based seal.  Carbon/graphite and sulphur powders are mixed, pressed into shape, baked at extreemly high temps in a furnace for up to 4 days, treated with chemicals to reduce pourosity and increase strength, then machined to tolerances mesured in "lightbands" .

The reason I know this is that I worked for a while in one such plant where we made everything from tiny pump pins to giant seals used on the space shuttle and aircraft engines...

thought you'd be interested to know.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

Hey don't agree with u. As I said mine new impeller seal is identical as the original one (anyway that were genuine yamaha parts), so it is ceramical, i took it on my teeth:)

I can't remeber the price, but i paid for all (seals, bearing, impeller) not more than 25$.
nie ma podpis?w

Rick G

Gads, I paid nearly $80.00 in MPLS 2 years ago!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Jeff

Rick,
 I know I paid more than $25 but haven't added it all up. I guess it all depends what you can reuse too.  I replaced everything but the shaft and impeller.  Was $65 anyway and maybe alittle more.  I also replaced the o-rings on the tubes and the side cover gasket since I had it all apart.  So it wasn't much cheaper in Virginia if at all.

Jeff