Screw Measuring

Started by sgrprincees, May 14, 2003, 08:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgrprincees

I put the part numbers of the stock screws into bikebandit, and it gives me some sort of measurement, I suppose I will need to measure the length.  But, what does 5mw1 mean?

DoubleVision

Ok, I'll give you fast run down. There are 3 major things you need to know when buying bolts. #1 is the dia. of the SHANK of the bolt(the part with threads) In metric that is stated in MM so your bolt(screw) is 5mm in dia. Then you need to know the PITCH of the thread on the bolt. PITCH means how close or far apart the threads are. In metric they base it on the MM, 1.0 pitch means each THREAD is spaced 1.0 mm apart. On a bolt with a PITCH of 1.5 that means each thread is 1.5 mm apart.The smaller the PITCH the finer the thread. So if your bolt is 5mm-1.0, that means the shank is 5mm and the PITCH is 1.0. There are many,many PITCHs so you can't make 2 different ones thread into each other!! So you need to get the PITCH count correct.They make a PITCH gauge to quickly check this. #3 there is bolt length, this is measured from under the head to the end.(just shank). Off top of my head those bolts you need have like a 10MM length. And to referance 1mm is same as .039 thousands(American) If any more ?'s just ask. Peace
Frank