News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Fram oil filters...read

Started by jasonm., April 27, 2002, 12:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonm.

I took my 2 Visions out of hybernation in the past weeks. Changing the oil and filter. Well, both Visions I use Fram oil filters. Upon removing the filter cover from the '82 I found the filter had been crushed, collapsed, tilted...distorted. In an area where the pletes were not evenly spaced. ?
 ?Then I took the '83 apart. The same thing...crushed. But since the pletes were even it was crushed evenly. I know this should not happen.
 ? The rubber rings are suppose to squish down, not the filter. The Yamaha filter # is 4X7-13440-90-00. The Fram is a ?CH6005. The CH6004 is the same except the supplied o-rings are different. I went to the dealer for an original Yamaha filter. As it turns out the Frams are longer by 1 to 4 mm. And the pletes are totally uneven when compared to the O.E.M.(Yamaha) filter. To put it simply I am using the O.E.M. filter from now on. Which is almost the same price. I have not had a problem before. I can only think that Fram(AlliedSignal) has changed something.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Dave T.

Thanks 4 the info. I just put a Purolator motorcycle oil filter in. It's number is ML16805 ($4.99). I see the cross reference on it says Fram is a CH6005, Wix is a 24936 and Yamaha is a 4x7-13440-90.

I will check it to see if it gets crushed. The only things I don't like about the Yamaha OEM filter is that it doesn't come with O-rings (Fram and Purolator do) and it's usually from $5.99 to $7.99.  :-X
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

sdinino

I had exactly the same experience with a Purolator - it came out crushed. I didn't see if the plates were even, but I was still unhappy about it so I switched to the OEM filter. No problem now, it fits fine.

My observation was that the rubber rings at either end didn't fit properly. The OEM rings are a different shape, and slip into the raised area in the cover. The Purolator rings rode on top, making the filter assembly longer.

-- Steve D

ricks_83

there is a rubber o ring on both ends of the filter that sometimes get stuck to the housing or around the port that goes into the sidecover if either one is not physically removed it can crush the new filter i have used fram filters for many years and not had this problem

jasonm.

From rubber to rubber the measurement is 54.5mm on the O.E.M. , Compare when buying a non-O.E.M. filter. I also had no problem until recently with the Fram. But why take a chance?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules