Since cold Vision Won't start

Started by GAJim, December 26, 2001, 04:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAJim

Since themp went south I can not get the normally easy to start bike to run, it tries to start then it just wants to backfire, the kids in the neighborhood are getting a little nervous everytime I try to start it.  I've got it on a battery charger to keep the battery up.  Some of the nothern vision riders may have some experience and suggestions as it does not get this cold 15-20 in south georgia very often.

Lucky

yup, mine is normaly hard to start in the cold too.  the backfiring means fuel is getting into the exaust, so there is plenty of fuel avalable.  what i do is set the choke lever to the "C" in 'choke' (any further and the choke "malfunctions")
crank it without cracking the throttle a second or two. then crack the trottle only a little.  remember, your backfiring, so getting enough fuel isn't a problem... generaly, when it's warm, i don't really need to crack the throttle, so a little gas is sufficent when it's cold, anymore and you'll have a tough time.  someone told me to try it this way and i was sceptical, but it worked the first try.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

When cold and sitting. Mine usually requires a few twists of the throttle to squirt some fuel from the accel. pump down the throats. Then set the choke a she starts. Never can start these beasts with the throttle open while cranking it over. As long as it cranks fast enough the above always works for me.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

QBS

The V owners manual says always start with fully closed throttle, hot or cold.  I always do and it works for me.  Backfiring when attempting to start, hot or cold, is an indicator of a weak battery.  It has to do with the TCI requiring a minimum of 11.5 volts to properly fire the plugs. Check Leathers electrical section on Luckeys' web page.  Never ever underestimate the Vs' love (demand) for a well charged battery.  HERE'S THE BIG TIP!!!  It's called Battery Tender Jr. made by Deltran.

About a year and half ago I installed a permanently mounted wiring harnes that I can plug any matching plug electrical device into so I don't have to mess with the batterys' posts.  This harness came with my $25.00 US Battery Tender Jr.  Now I can conveneintly leave my battery on maintence charge indefinatly with full confidence that when I hit the button next week or even three weeks later, in a cold garage, the bike will start after no more than two revolutions of the crankshaft.(After waiting for the carbs to fill, of course.)

I always plug the tender in immediatly after I shut off the engine after pulling into the garage.  This and the insidiousness of THE EVIL CORROSION are  probably the most important things I have ever learned about regarding making my V the very dependable bike that it has turned out to be.  I can not recommend the Battery Tender Jr. highly enough.  HOWEVER, it will not overcome a worn out badlly sulfated battery.  BUT, it will keep a new battery new for a very long time.  You can't spend your money in search of dependabilty at a better place.

Last Sunday my 80k mile 83' V turned 10.6k RPM in fifth gear on level ground.  A new record for my love.

Cheers.

mac_p300

I have noticed many differences in the starting technique between my "old" '82 RJ (unmodified) and my "new" '83 RK.
On the old one, full choke and 2-3 twists of the throttle to pump some petrol into the engine. Then crank until it fired. When the engine caught, immediately give it some throttle and hold it at 3000 rpm for a few seconds.

on the new one, full choke again but leave the throttle alone. Crank the engine until it fires and starts running. Do not touch the throttle for  a few seconds. If you do the engine dies immediately.

I assume these differences are due to the different carburettors fitted.

Malcolm