News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Bar End Weights - do they work?

Started by Glyn, March 19, 2009, 06:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

Not so much for the Vision, since it is so smooth, but I have a few other bikes which give my fingers the tingles. Do those bar end weights really calm the vibes down? If so would putting lead fishing weights, or similar in the bars have the same effect I wonder?

treedragon

As part of the ongoing modification to Wobblydog, before I graced the beast with clipon's, I shortened the standard bars down a bit....... and discovered they had lead in them. Don't know how far up it went but Yamaha obviously thinks it works.

joevacc

I have a set on my V and I think they are great.  They do slow down the handling a very wee bit but I was getting bad numbing in my right hand on long rides and they have helped a lot.

Along with very good tires, progressive springs, works shock and roller head bearings my V handles as good as my '07 bike.

Good luck,
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Night Vision

I packed birdshot into a set of bars... really didn't tell much difference, but it didn't hurt either
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

VisionMeister

Yes they do work. Simply put, mass dampens the vibration.
Different length and stiffness bars will change the vibration also.
After a couple years of riding my Kawasaki triple to the vintage races at Sears Point, about a 240 mile round trip, I was tired of how beat up I was. I added bar end weights and it made a big difference. Then I changed the gear ratios to make it cruise at about 300-400 more RPM at 70 mph and it got it into a sweet spot. Now it cruises smoother and closer to its power band so, usually, no downshifting reqired.

kiawrench

Glyn-
  As you may have noted, i am an accident prone person, hav edone a lot of damage to myself over the years, and my hands are usually first thing to go- so i added a set of bar end  weights, as well as a set of interstate gel grips (motorcycle shop, mountain bike shop -- same darn part, and both will fit   just be sure to get ones for a 7/8 in handle bar , and that the grip has inside edge flanges( like the stock ones have - to keep fingers from getting nipped by control items )  the stock grips will most likely have to be cut off, then just scrub the bars up a bit with a dry scrub pad, wipe off with clean towel . mount the new grips, cut end caps off with a razor knife and install the bar ends. just be sure you leave about a 2mm or 3mm gap - to allow for full grip rotation on accel side. also , do not over tighten the bar ends, as it can expand the inside of you bar, stopping all throttle use .   go for it , your hands will thank you

oh- my ends are the 5 oz aluminum ends meant for a v-max w- 7/8 in bars .. good fit, only 13.00 at bike barn .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Glyn

Thanks everyone. Really sounds like they are worth a try. I may try filling the bars with fishing weigh leads (the small stuff). I would think, that the greater the mass the better. 

Coil Coyle

Glyn,

Find a XZ1200 Venture in a wrecking yard, buy one handlebar. Cut the Weight in half, between the center O-Rings (there are four), and put the two weights in your Vision's Bars.

All the tingle is gone. Done it.
;)
Coil

Kenny

:)   I have weights in all the 83's,back in the mid eighties I filled up the bars with shotgun BB's, this works as well.  The bars I have now have been filled with melted lead,after a twelve hour day in the saddle I have no discomfort  from any vibs. :)  You could also adapt some bar end weights if you like the look. I find these bikes don't vibrate much as long as they're in tune.
                          Ken S. ;)

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Rick G

Arctic Cat atv's have bar end weights , we used to pull them out to install bar end mirrors. Maybe there's a dealer near you with some in the junque box.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike