Ok, i'm sick of this.

Started by inanecathode, February 10, 2010, 01:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

I've owned this v too long, done too much to it, and like it far to much to tolerate this crap anymore.

Every time. EVERY DAMN TIME i put fuel in it, i have to worry, no, fret, no! Panic! About the possibility of it puking all the fuel back out all over my crotch, setting the bike and my crotch on fire, then flipping end over end into a puppy orphanage (well at least the firey-crotch scenario). This has happened WAY more than it should, and i'd like to fix it.

I know of the 'drill a hole in the neck' trick, but im not sure if that totally satisfies me. Does this fix it end-all? I had the thought to cut the baffle totally out of it, that stupid neck that makes it impossible to drain when you're lining the tank, you know. That's a bmw thing, i guess you get more fuel capacity, but i'd like to just jam the gas schnoz in the thing, pull the trigger, then pull it out.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Walt_M.

Drill the hole in the neck and do not overfill. Stop when you get to the neck. Hard to believe but the neck is there as a safety feature to prevent overfilling. If you cut the neck out and fill to the top, it will puke fuel at every fillup.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

Oh com on! where's your SENSE OF ADVENTURE?  Anyway, i just toss mine over my shoulder & merily whistle on my way...   :) :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:) Yes it does "fix it"... 8)

When you remove the gas cap and peer inside, you will find a lip were the cap locks in...yep, that's it...Now, with a 1/16", 3/32" size drill bit in your drill, drill through the lip, right on the "shoulder" edge at a 45 degree angle....and keep going right through the baffle wall. Do this at opposite sides of the lip...VOILA!!!
I can fill right up and have nooooo pukin' what so ever... 8)

As for a "SENSE OF ADVENTURE" Lucky...I do this with a full tank of gas and without a safety net!!!!! I KNOW, I KNOW David...this is NOT recommended and is not for the faint of heart :o ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Goodness gracious! Great balls o'fire!  Couldn't resist.
I've learned after many gallns of wasted fuel and the possibiity of igniting me and YJ into a flaming bal of frustration that I fill my tank slowly and not all the way. Then I rock back and forth to burp it then fill a little more.  While not the full capacity, it works.
I've also seen things like spill bibs and overflow protection cups but have not used them.
I guess the other option would be to mod the fuel filler with one of those cool aluminum race car filler openings.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Kenny

Inane, ;D Come-on Its a real simple fix. I had the Red n white drilled before I met you at the 25th in Colorado. 
     Although I suppose I put somethings off as well, but couldn't get much of a long day in, without a full tank and a lap full of fuel!
               ;)Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

67GTO

Hunk-a-hunk of burnin' love :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Brian Moffet

I fell in to a burning ring of fire...

jasonm.

Yes, drilling the hole(s) in the CORRECT spot is critical. You will see a ridge as Tiger describes. You want it at or above that groove or "ridge". I put 2 holes. 3 and 9 o'clock. Using a 12 inch long 1/16" bit. Being such a long and flexible bit you will when you succeed. This way no matter how the bike is tilted...no pressure forces gas thru the cap. UNLESS I get careless.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

akvision

Hey, my beemer has a drilled sleeve and a drain built into the tank recess... just good engineering.  you do have to remove the petcocks to get all the stuff out though.

I do know your frustration, I drilled the BluV tank per Tiger's spec.   And I will drill the black tank for the next owner before I send it off, whomever that might be.
the AKV tank is still available for whomever.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

nwrider

You have a fuel tank available?  I'm new here and am just learning but my tank needs some serious help and if you have one that doesn't leak???????  Well, I'm interested.  Also, I've only filled up 4 times so far......no issues with burping/overflowing.  I always fill on the side stand.  Is this making a difference or am I just fortunate?
Thanks,
Ben
First dirt: Hodaka Ace 100B
First street: Honda 150 Dream
First racer: '86 Honda 500 Interceptor
Most memorable:Kawasaki 350 triple, GSXR 750 limited edition
Current: '83 Vision

inanecathode

I'll probably just drill it then, if it's that good :P

The whole point is, i dont want to have to go through a special procedure every time i want to fill my bike up. Believe it or not i have better things to do than to sit there for 10 minutes slowly filling it and humping the tank to rock the bike back and forth. I'd rather just pull up, stick the thing in, fill it to the bottom of the neck, then leave.

Raj1988

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Lucky

Quote from: inanecathode on February 11, 2010, 09:39:45 AM
I'd rather just pull up, stick the thing in, fill it to the bottom of the neck, then leave.

somebodys been hanging out on Craigslist again! lol  :o ;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Just make sure its empty when you drill.  :-)

You'll be a ledgend around here if you don't.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

Quote from: YellowJacket! on February 11, 2010, 01:22:38 PM
Just make sure its empty when you drill.  :-)

You'll be a ledgend around here if you don't.

David

Actually, i'd rather have it full. Vapors are what burn/explode, not liquid the less that's there the better off you'd be. I'll probably be hosing it down with oil to keep the chips/sparks down.

Kenny

Inane!
        What are you waiting on - do you have a " sharp drill bit "  ?  Put this poor tank into full service and enjoy your lack of long rides  and drill it !
You can do this without a full tank or with a full tank, You don't need a 12" drill bit either a 1/8" will also do just use a sharp one min. friction & heat.
          Try it
           Ken S. on the way home! ;D ;D

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

ironb12s

Inane is very correct, the full tank is far safer than an empty one full of vapor.

That new rider asking about a tank that doesn't leak, has anyone risen to the query?
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Night Vision

I make sure my tank spews at least once a year....so I has to wacks zit

I put SmokeBomb away this fall/winter and it was quite cold.... filled the tank to the brim and the next 40 deg day, I had spillage  >:(
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

akvision

The Query is about my AkVision Tank.   I will pm Ben.

Inane, don't blow your self up.  It will give you a chance to clean the tank too.  They all accumulate crud and water.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska