News:

Main Menu

slow vision?

Started by flyinbike, August 08, 2009, 01:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinbike

hey,

I was just reading another post and they mentioned that they have got there visions up to 120 MPH (195 km/h), which is crazy, the fastest i have got my vision is 120 km/h( 75 mph ) That is 5th gear and 8,000 rpm on a down hill. Is my bike slow or is there another magic gear? :police:

h2olawyer

Euro gearing might make that speed possible.

The 82 speedo is notorious for reading a bit low, especially if you are running a 100/90-18  front tire.  The 83 is much more accurate.  Also, without GPS or a different speedo, 85+ is all you would ever know by looking at the needle.  The 83 speedo has a 140MPH scale.  I had my V in 5th @ 10,000RPMs once the summer I bought it (83).  Sure did peg the speedo!  Since I installed the 83 speedo, the fastest I've seen is just a nudge over 100.  Don't recall the RPMs, but it was around 9000.  According to the road test data of the day, top end of the 82 US spec XZ550 was 113MPH.  www.xz550.com/roadtest.jpg

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Theres some members on here that GREATLY exaggerate how fast they can actually go. It's physically impossible to exceed 110~ mph with US gearing, it's limited by the rpm limiter (if its not cut). I've got euro gears in mine, i've had it up to actual speed of 108 before the speedometer quit (bike speedo, calibrated to a quarter inch per revolution or so, magnet let go at 108mph unfortunately) i'd estimate i would have had 10-15 mph left in it judging by the tach. The analog speedo read something like 115 or 120, but obviously analog speedometers arent terribly accurate.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

treedragon

euro gearing and fairing
calibrated electronic speedo
no rev limiter
reading just on 10,000rpm
confirmed by a 1098S beside me just long enough to check then he was a speck in the distance..............
achieved on a still day at an altitude of around 1,500ft.
It's a benchmark you know  ::)  ;D
This can be improved on, mind you it's more out of the corner punch and the like that I'm after, outright speed is a bit ho hum after the last bike.

The Prophet of Doom

Good thing you are getting rid of those exhausts treedragon, they are obviously slowing you up

QBS

On several occasions over the years the tach on my totally stock (except for my Fram 3909 air filter) '83 has read 10k RPM while the speedo was showing 114 MPH on level ground and at approx. 150 ft. of altitude.  I don't think it had much more left in it during those runs.

YellowJacket!

I've kissed 90.

I have a GPS "Speedometer" that I'm going to mount on my dash and use it for a comparison to my electronic gauges.  Its pretty cool...will do a full screen digital numeric readout, so I can glance down at both gauges and see the difference.  I know its pretty accurate along with my cars speedo, so hopefully I can get an estimate of my bikes and recalibrate it.

David

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

105 mph, but that was many years ago... 

The bike was newer, and I was lighter then...

flyinbike

Ya i have 100/90/ 18 tires on it. Would that make a difference?

Brian Moffet

It wouldn't make that much of a difference.  Assuming you have an 82, you might not be able to read higher than 85 mph, but you should certainly be able to go faster than 75.  Heck, I see 65 - 75 on almost a daily basis on small stretches of my commute.  I'm no where near redline in 5th gear.

I run a 100/90/18 on the front, and 120/90/18 on the rear (standard for 1983 is 110/90/18 on rear), and I have the standard US gearing.  I'm going by memory here, but I think 60 mph is 5000 RPM or so on my bike.  which is a theoretical top speed of 120 at 10k.  I doubt it would ever get there on flat ground because of wind resistance :-)

Brian

flyinbike

Ya something must be wrong here, because at 5,000 rpm im going 60 KM/H ( 37 MP/H). The bike is an 82, and is from canada.

Kid Jedi

i find that 5k in 5th is about ~55mph but my bike loves to lie about how fast she is going. ran a gps for a wile, found that 65mph on the gauge was 87mph. i Knew it was bad but wow.
Loves to over think things.

QBS

No brag intended, but my '83 will cruise all day long at an indicated 90MPH (approx. 8500rpm).  The V has a 5 speed transmition.  Make sure you're in top gear.

h2olawyer

With the 82, the 100/90-18 is a larger diameter than the 90/90-18.  It makes fewer revolutions per mile than the 100/90, thus it makes the speedo read slower (and under count the actual mileage).  Looking at the photo on the cover of the Haynes, you can see how much smaller the 90/90 appears than the 100/90 you may haveon your bike.  The 90/90 has lots of clearance between the tire & fender while the 100/90 fills the fender fairly well.

Earlier this summer, I spent a good part of a day's ride at 80+ and the bike absolutely loved it.  Sure made getting through the long straights and wide, sweeping curves go by quickly.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Kid Jedi

mmmh over square bore with low piston speed, my favorite!
Loves to over think things.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: flyinbike on August 08, 2009, 03:08:04 PM
Ya something must be wrong here, because at 5,000 rpm im going 60 KM/H ( 37 MP/H). The bike is an 82, and is from canada.

Can you check that speedo for accuracy?  (drive behind someone in a car, get a GPS, etc?)  That does sound like 4th gear to me.

Brian

h2olawyer

Or the speedo may need either cleaning & relube or replacement.

H2O

Extent

Best I've done is 104 on a calibrated digital speedo.  I used to cruise on the freeway at near 90, felt perfectly comfortable for the machine.  Not a big fan of high speed personally, just give me endless hairpins, I'll cruise the road inbetween them around the limit.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

lexx790

It said on a TV show over here that in the US you only get fined for speeding.
In the UK you get fined and 3 points on your liscence, over 12 points and you loose your liscence for a year.
So if your rich enough in the US can you continually keep breaking the speed limit?

kwells

most states assign points as well.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com