Vision Data Base?

Started by Glyn Pickering, February 06, 2005, 12:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

I take great joy in pointing out to the salesmen at Route 66 motorsports, in Kingman ( H-D , Buell , Polaris, Honda  and Yamaha)
Its called , buy up all the franchises so theres no compitition, now theres a cpitalist thought for you!! Anyway, I delight in pointing out that they have no bikes on the floor that appeal to me  as a potential buyer. Too many crusers and sport bikes, not enough "standards"
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Glyn Pickering

Boy - did I open a can of worms with such an innocent post!

The only thing I know is when I look at my bike it just looks so retro and right that $ isn't really a consideration. My base bike only cost $500 and I've probably spent anotheer $1000 on it. It's given me more pleasure than most of my other buy and ride bikes I've had. Maybe it's my "time of life", I realise that there's beauty and worth in things that are not beautiful and worthy to other people.

Capatalism sucks - but we need it. Unfortunately man is I fear genetically corrupt and we need the lesser evil of capatalism over communism to keep us at least near the middle line. I know which bike will get the most attention in the bike park. It won't be that new R1. Sell your XZ and you'll always be wondering , if only I'd ...

XZ's rock.

End of story.

Glyn

darkvision

Hi ROVs,
I just joined the forum after checking out the ROV website periodically  for great information on maintaining and improving  my Vision . You are correct in that the value we receive from our Visions isn't from the resale potential but from the enjoyment we get from riding it and keeping it running great.
I purchased my Vision in 1984, it was a new 1982 model that was still unsold and when it was offered at $1099 I couldn't resist.  I had fallen in love with the Vision after reading about it in the major motorcycle magazines. It has never disappointed me in 21 years. While the Vision wasn't a commercial success for Yamaha, it is a great bike with great looks, a great motor and the iconic uniqueness of great machines.
For the corporations it is about the money, for us it is the value of memorable experiences associated with the product; riding it, looking at it, maintaining it and sharing our passion for it with others.
best wishes, Darkvision

louthepou

Just a few comments after reading this intersting string.

1. You won't make money with the Yamaha Vision.
2. You will spend money owning a Vision.
3. It does not handle well, does not brake well, parts are hard to find, no one knows how to work on it.
4. Therefore, I ride a Vision.

Go figure.

Well, one good thing for me: when I stop somewhere, no one knows what the heck my bike is. So, unlike a work colleague of mine who owns a Harley to be different just like all the other Harley owners  ;D I do think I'm never going to have a hard time finding my bike in a Bike meet parking lot...

Cheers!

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Sable

Louis,

I agree with some of your points, however, I disagree with your first one though, at least in my case anyways ;D
   I purchased my V for the price of $225.00 and I've been keeping a running total on what I have put into it... so far, including the purchase, I am up to just under $1,200.00... I think with the condition it's in and how well it has been running, I bet I could sell it for at least $1,500.00...
   But, I love my V, and I wouldn't part with it for a $300.00 profit ;D
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

Superfly

I bought mine for $200, put about $700 into it, and have rode it over 8,000 miles, crashed it into a mountain, put the engine into a new frame, & I am riding it again.  It can be real easy to bitch about this bike, but there are some really great points to it also!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

QBS

DarkV said it well.  Welcome to the group.  Where are you located?  God bless all.

supervision

these bikes are kind of like owning a wood boat,, i
" border="0

jasonm.

Sable says his is worth $1500?
 My '82 is showroom condition with only 7k miles with a new out of the box (3 years ago) Vetter Quicksilver fairing and many upgrades. I have had it for sale at less than your $1500. No one wants to buy it in my area. Too many people are not into possibly looking for parts in the future. Even if they are available now. I do not want to sell in an Ebay type forum as of now. Having 3 bikes, I do not need all 3.
  Also the book value is only about $900. Which is all my insurance Co. will give me if it gets totalled.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

darkvision

Thanks for the warm welcome.   I live in the San Francisco Bay area of California.

Glyn, my VIN is 11H005546 if you are interested. The database looks like a great deAL OF work.  I believe they had a member registry at this Jaguar website I also visit: http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/.  Its too bad that the Vision production numbers aren't easily accessible.
Best wishes, DarkV

Brian Moffet

Quotethese bikes are kind of like owning a wood boat,, i

What, a large hole in the water to throw money in to?  :-)

I would never do that, I have a large hole in the air to throw money in to....

Actually, I'm quite happy, my Vision is pretty low-key as far as repairs are concerned.

Brian

supervision

Hi and welcome to the group, Darkvision.  Good to hear your interest in our next ride.. as of this moment no plans are set, though I'd think there will be some ready to meet in a few mos.   How long have you been riding your  v ?   mine has 50,000 miles on it and I bought it 1990 in San Jose  with 11,000 miles.   I live near Modesto,    Dave
" border="0

supervision

Brian, I been meaning to post you something... A few weeks ago my wife, daughter, and 2 dogs  were eating lunch at a place in Aptos called The Farm, there was this guy with a Moris  Minor  flatbed truck..  after bs ing a few minutes about the truck he mentions that he drives it almost daliy to watsonville airport, to go fliying..  I had to leave at that point  but I thought you'd maybe know of this guy by the unusual truck .  Dave
" border="0

gbranche

QuoteI would never do that, I have a large hole in the air to throw money in to....

Actually, I'm quite happy, my Vision is pretty low-key as far as repairs are concerned.

Been there, done that! Maintaining an airplane will certainly give one a different perspective on maintaining a Vision. :)

Greg

Brian Moffet

Quote?Brian, I been meaning to post you something... A few weeks ago my wife, daughter, and 2 dogs ?were eating lunch at a place in Aptos called The Farm, there was this guy with a Moris ?Minor ?flatbed truck.. ?after bs ing a few minutes about the truck he mentions that he drives it almost daliy to watsonville airport, to go fliying.. ?I had to leave at that point ?but I thought you'd maybe know of this guy by the unusual truck.

Nope, I don't know anyone who drives a Minor.  I do know the Farm, or at least the previous incarnation of it.  Good food.

And I ride the bike (which gets 50 per gallon) to help pay for the plane fuel (which gets about 11 per gallon)...

Brian

darkvision

Hi Supervision ( Dave),
Thanks for letting me know about plans for another CROV ride.  I live in Livermore. Even though I'm the original owner I only have 17K miles on my Vision. Its been very reliable suffering only a starter motor and stator failure. I have had long periods where I haven't had the time to ride  much but fortunately lately I've been able to take it out for some short rides on weekends. Please me keep appraised of future CROV get-togethers and I'll do my best to make it.
best wishws,  Vic

ps2/bikevision

well as fare as a vision costing alot of $$$ there are those that have poured alot into them or those like me who havent spent hardly anything. if you all remember i got mine as a trade i traded my friend a playstation2 hence the name even up for my v and the only thing i have had to work on is buying a new battery and putting a new clutch cable on it, and replacing the starter after i fried it trying to jump it direct to the starter. i know stupid (didnt cost anything i have a spare parts bike) o and replace a blown fuse or two after messing with the starter. o and i got the ps2 at a pawn shop and paid 136 out the door and i also got a 13in tv with it i dont think it was to bad of a deal but i am a sucker for anything that has wheels and i can get for a song

Brian Moffet

Quote? eating lunch at a place in Aptos called The Farm, there was this guy with a Moris ?Minor ?flatbed truck.. ?after bs ing a few minutes about the truck he mentions that he drives it almost daliy to watsonville airport, to go fliying.. ?I had to leave at that point ?but I thought you'd maybe know of this guy by the unusual truck . ?Dave

His name is Jeremy. I ran across him last night in the EAA local chapter meeting.  It's a nice truck, and apparently not the only odd vehicle he owns. :-)  I've known him for a while, but didn't know he was into the cars.  He and I had a good chat about his cars and the Austin Healy Sprite Mk III I'm restoring.

FYI.

supervision

Ah, so you know that guy, thats cool.  We should be getting together for another ride in a few mos.  we have another rider that's interested Darkvision, he's from Livermore.
also maybe
greg's second son and his new bike..
" border="0

thekid

I got my Vision for FREE while i was helping a friend pick up a free gas grill from his friend.  I saw the bike in their backyard,alone, rejected and NOT COVERED!!! and asked about it. Turned out, the guys brother had owned it, tipped it over once at a stop, and then abandoned it in his parents yard for two years uncovered and not started.  I could hardly believe it when they said "we have the keys , title, take it away!!"  It only had 13,000 miles on it then, and when I got it home, I changed the oil, battery,and fuel tank(rotted) and she started up after about 10 seconds! Since then, I have ridden her 4000 miles, from Laconia to Canada and Back, around town and no problems . I have probably invested about$1000 into her and $400 of that was for a new paint job!!  no matter what anyone says, shes a great bike :)
Ride It Like You Stole It!