Gas cap Fix

Started by Kid Jedi, May 10, 2009, 05:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Jedi

So your gas cap is leaking and yamaha wants 60 bucks for a new one when all you need is a new seal? fear not!

Go to you local automotive parts store and buy a stant cap number 11838 ~$7.99 each

take her home and lay it GENTLY on come concrete, and smack it with a big honking hammer.

Just pick out the rubber seal from the wreckage and slide it on to your gas cap.

Note: I do NOT recommend removing the screws from your cap and dissembling it that way, it is spring loaded and is hard to get all of the parts to line up just right.

The seal fits a little snugger than stock and is a compression style. I think it provides a MUCH better seal than the expensive oem method
Loves to over think things.

YellowJacket!

hmmm.. the force is growing stronger... good suggestion.  I was about to start searching for a new seal as the smell of gas vapors in my garage is a bit unsettling with the missus.

Yep...that backfire from my macs was actually my garage wall blowing out.  :-o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

HasAVision

Good info. I was about to attempt to make a new gasket out of rtv but I figured there had to be another that was interchangeable. Thanks.

Kid Jedi

I filled her up to the brim and no leaks. Its awesome.

jasonm.

is that a gas cap # or rad cap # ? Also what car does it fit..?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Kid Jedi

gas cap part number, the rad cap numbers and gas cap numbers cant be confused. it was / is off of a 2002 dodge dakota, may fit other models

Kid Jedi

Update: did 1K since i installed the new fuel cap rubber, no leaks, drips, or qualms.

akvision

Ok Kid, when you find a fix... post it.
How about that stator?
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Kid Jedi

currently testing a ricks stator. the stator was designed MUCH better than oem. failure should be once every 30k.

HasAVision

I found a sink gasket today at work that fits perfectly. Free to me, should only cost a buck at any home improvement store.

Kid Jedi

fuel proof sink gasket
???

HasAVision

Quote from: Kid Jedi on May 19, 2009, 03:29:00 PM
fuel proof sink gasket
???

It appears to be made of the same material. I left one of them submerged in gasoline over night and there is no change to it at all this morning.

Kid Jedi

wow! fuel proof sink gasket! :o

;D

Night Vision

use what works.... if it don't work, don't use it
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano