more on the oil cooler project

Started by Lucky, February 10, 2005, 02:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I've changed the design some so that it won't be nessacary to pull the right engine cover to install it.
In the drawings, the blue part is a tube that slides back & fourth to cover & uncover passages. this turns the cooler on & off.
the valve may be a problem. I designed it but I doubt I can build it... can one of you guys? or anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
i have a sketch drawn up to operate the valve with a solinoid & relay from the coolant temp switch. this is still only in the brainstorm phase...

if it can't be done at least cheaply, perhaps it would be worth it to just make the tube part of the fitting perminant & doesn't move...cooler allways on, like the top pic.
I figured a cooler like this: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-322/c-10101  they have oil coolers too, but I like this size.
Stainless braided lines would finish it up.

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

What would the disadvantages of having it always on be?  
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

not sure right off, just figured it'd be an option...  I think if the oil is too cold it causes problems getting past the rings, etc.  i'm sure there will be a lot of diff of opinion on oil temp...

Superfly

I have an engine split in half right now, (I am doing connection rod bearings) if we need any pictures, or anything else, let me know, I will be re-sealing them this weekend.  I am going to poke around in there, because this is high on my list of things to do for this bike.

Lucky

mind if i call you? (need your #)
luckyvision@hotmail.com
...this is why i would like a chat... several of us on now...

Extent

Instead of cutting in to these passages why not adapt the oil filter housing for it.  Replace the filter with a soild unit that wont pass oil at all, run it out of the housing thru an inline filter (do those exist for oil?) and then thru the cooler.  Then return the oil back to the inside of the housing.  With that you could still put a bypass valve on the cooler itsself, and the only thing you'ld have to do to mount it would be to screw a new oil filter cover on and mount the cooler and inline filter to the outside of the bike somewhere.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

all i'm doing here is pulling oil passage plugs & installing fittings.

anyway I do it i'll have to bypass SOMETHING. the other way I had it the passage to the oil filter was plugged, & the return was in the cap, but that was a lot of stress on the cap, & not a lot of room between the cap & filter for return oil.

your idea might work, but I like mine :)

Superfly

Just sent you an e-mail with my number.

EH

Maybe it would be better to supplement the somewhat small radiator. This is after all a liquid cooled engine that has its most trouble keeping up with heat produced at low speeds. The fan thermostat control does not activate soon enough to suit me. I was looking at the oil system diagrams and I don't think I would want to access the engine oil from any high pressure galley near to the oil pump. Has anyone changed radiators or added a supplemntal coolnat radiator? Just my thoughts.

Extent

I'm more wondering about having the oil filtered before it hits the cooler to keep any sediments (even if minute) from developing in the tubing for the fins.  And wouldn't hotter oil flow thru the filter element faster since it's got lower viscosity?  Ok, now I'm really just grabbing at straws  :P
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.

EH

Lucky, you could be defeating the purpose of the bypass valve... Keeping the oil pump turning if the discharge side is blocked. Having the oil pump blocked could lock the engine. Also, if the bypass valve activates, the engine oil light will come on due to low oil pressure.

Extent

http://www.timothypilgrim.com/bike/japengines.jpg
In this article they say that oil accounts for about 1/3 of a bikes cooling capacity, and in that test they don't have serious trouble with the bike till they drain the oil out.  Cooling the oil might have an even greater effect than a larger radiator because the current system is completely uncooled, so the difference is likely to be more than slightly improving the water system.

EH

Yikes, it would have died even sooner with no coolant! That was an extreme test .

Superfly

Plus, I use Red-line water wetter, mixed in with my anti-freeze.  Before, my temp gage was exactly straight up in the center, now it is left of center (cooler).  Plus I added a manual on/off switch to my fan, it comes on when I say come on!

Extent

QuoteYikes, it would have died even sooner with no coolant! That was an extreme test .

There was no coolant, that boiled off after the first 15minutes of the first test.

Superfly, how does that work for you in traffic and stopped at idle?  that's the only time I find the temp start raising, is below like 25mph.

Superfly

It works great,  I have had a couple of sensors for the fan, and they were all coming on at different temps (one would come on right before the red zone...).  I just mounted a toggle switch, and when it starts going over half way I just flip the switch, the temp goes down, and I am happy :)

EH

Don't think cooling was the point of the article.

Lucky

QuoteLucky, you could be defeating the purpose of the bypass valve... Keeping the oil pump turning if the discharge side is blocked. Having the oil pump blocked could lock the engine. Also, if the bypass valve activates, the engine oil light will come on due to low oil pressure.

the bypass valve isn't blocked or bypassed.  it's hard to tell from the diagram, but it's a straight shot from the (return) fitting to the filter. the bypass valve just pushes into the casting.  the part where the valve is in the oil passage is drilled to allow the oil to pass. if you look at the original drawings in the book all i've done is remove the plugs and redirected the flow.

Extent

QuoteDon't think cooling was the point of the article.

I only linked to it to show how much an effect on cooling that the oil has, which is just a byproduct of the testing they did.

Lucky

Here is an oil cooler thermostat priced at $50 that might be a better way to go. it's going to add to the cost, but provides a ready made way to handle tempurature control.
Last item on the page:
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/filtmt.htm