do you remember when you got hooked?

Started by reckon, January 30, 2007, 10:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VisionMeister

When I purchased my first Vision it was fall of 1984. I had just started a rebuild of an XS750D that I had thrashed for 42.000 miles.
I was at the Yamaha shop for parts and they had the Visions on clearance sale for $1500.
I had always thought they were a cool bike and it was cheap enough so I bought a red one.
I immediately liked the powerband and smoothness coupled with the comfortable riding position. But the handling was not the greatest due to the stock shock deficiencies and the small stock front tire and weak brake.
By the next spring I had a set of new Pirellis, a fox shock and a steel braided line for the brake.
I was out for a ride on Merced Falls Road when I came across a sport rider on a GPZ1100 Kawa. He was in full leathers and trying to hang out his knees even though the speeds did not warrant it. As we crossed the bridge over the Merced River and headed towards Hornitos I went on around him and started gassing it. Merced Falls road is full of high speed sweepers with hills that loft your front end at speeds of 85mph+. The GPZ fell behind at every turn but could catch up on the straights where the V could only get to about 110mph.
The last few turns into Hornitios he fell behind to where I couldn't see him any more.
I stopped for a break at Hornitos and he pulled up and said "What is that thing?".
Then I was hooked. I felt I had found the ultimate sleeper of the times.
I had to sell that V to go to school. But in 1988 I found another red one with 3400 miles on it that the owner could not sell. I got it for $850 and have been riding it ever since.

Brian Moffet

around 1984, my mother owned one (a 1982 with full fairing).  However, I was in college and couldn't afford one.  Not until I got a job was I able to purchase my 1983 (in April of 1986).  I just found my original receipt a few days ago.  That was 21 years ago, and 40,683 miles.

Brian

tremalzo

It must have been in 82 reading a test in a motorcycle magazine. I loved the lines, the shape of the engine, the specs. My bike at that time was a gs550e which I had to sell because I couldn't afford both a car and a bike.

After twenty years without a bike in the winter of 04 there it was again. There was this add with the pic of a xz550 on the internet. I bought it. A half year later I bought a second for parts. Did a full restauration in the winter of 05. Last year got me another which I am rebuilding in cafe racer style.

Frans

Tiger

:)...I came across my "V" by pure luck, really...by accident rather than design, as they say... ;) I hadn't owned a bike in over 20 some odd year's, but had never lost the love of the thrill I used to get on the open road...It was back in July '05 that I went to see a prospective client on business...as I was leaving his shop I spied a motorcycle under a cover and the conversation turned to two wheel's... ::) The bike under the cover was his new ride, an 1800 Kawa' all dressed up...niiiiiiice looking ride...as the conversation wore on the guy informs me he still has his first ride, which he rode for a year after getting his license, but had went to a police auction with a buddy, who wanted to buy an old police cruiser and ended up with him buying a "bargain" B.M.W. X-cop ride that had recently been fully overhauled. The Beamer went on the road and his first ride went under wrap's...for six/seven year's...sound familiar!!!
So, he had just advertised it in the Auto Trader. "Interested" says he, "sure" says I...off comes the cover and sitting there all nice and clean was...a 1982 Yamaha XZ550rj Vision... ::) "A what" says I... ???...anyway, as it was 6.30p.m...'ish and only a couple of mile's from my home, we sat down had a beer, talked "turkey".......and the rest is history,as they say... 8) First thing I had to do, once I got her home...Joe was kind enough to put the "V" in his pick-up truck and run her over to my place...where we had another beer... ;)...was to get a bike license :D :D and drop the "V" off at a shop to get serviced, tuned and safetied...From the first ride I new I was hooked again...an old love affair had returned that stirring in the loin's... 8) The love for the Vision wasn't far behind and like a new love it had its share of up's and down's... ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D... 8) Since that first "date" with "The Mistress" I have acquired three donor "V"s, which have helped a few Visionaries across the globe, as well as my own, to keep running and in the last few month's I have added two more to my harem...another '82 "The Black Panther"...which should be ready to go to a new home soon and "The Canadian", an '83 red 'n white with less than 10,000 mile's on the clock. So, "hooked" you say...I can't disagree ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D...but the doctor thinks, with some treatment I should be O.K...No doc' not the needle again...I don't like needle's...please doc Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

8)...I have to mention that, had it not been for "The Family", I may have not made it this far... 8) soooooo, its ALL your bloody fault that I'm so hooked...THANK-YOU ALL for your help....... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

AIRPLANE STEVE

My story isn't quite as exciting as some, but it has the same happy ending. An old friend of mine, AKA Tailwheel, stopped by the airport where I work and showed me his three newest toys. Here on his trailer were some of the coolest looking bikes I had ever seen. Being a gear head and a long time rider, I was a little shocked that I knew nothing about these odd machines. A friend of mine had a Kaw 500 H1 which I had ridden on several ocassions. I had owned a Honda CBX, a Yamaha XS750E triple, a couple of Kaw KZ's and a couple of other Hondas. I was drawn to this latest discovery by my friend. He told me about this forum so I started visiting and gaining knowledge. I love something different and definitely something better, so these bikes wer an immediate hit with me. Dav and I talked regulary and I dropped the hint htat I would be interested in a vision if he were ever so inclined to part with one. Well, the day came and my only obstacle was my loving, but too practical wife. We really couldn't afford another toy, but after hearing the price and seeing that glimmer in my eye, she gave in. I really didn't need another project, I kept telling myself. But, this was one of those deals a guy like me can't afford to pass up. After picking the bike up on Saturday afternoon, I took her home and began assembly. Dave had undertaken the replacement of the front valve cover gasket. It looked like a lot of parts, and I hadn't disassembled them, but Dave gave me the manual as well. So in a couple of hours, I was riding. And you know what, I haven't had to do anything else except put gas in her and air up the tires. Dave had told me that it was a good running bike and he was right. I'm hooked. And I'll agree with one of the previous writers, it is the perfect size. Most of my riding is done under 60 MPH. The bike has really grown on me and I have no intention of parting with it.
                                                             Airplane Steve
Airplane Steve

GT @ oh.

I got my 82v in 1984 from dealer fresh out of high school never owned a bike bfore and the black Vision was the nicest looking bike I could afford $1200.I rode with buddies who all had top bikes of the time 750GPZ,750GSXR,750FZR,900Ninja.I got to ride their bikes and they rode mine,which they all agreed it was a fun bike,but nowhere near as fast as theirs.         I've not had many problems other than fuse box,exhaust leak (which is probably from me or friends redlining to much),.. in 8500mi.My bike then sat for years at a time between rides.It would start right up everytime with some starting fluid.  I'd ride a few times then it would sit...... the last time for 4 years.Well the last time it wouldn't start so I take it to "stealer" to have carb cleaned and $300 later it starts and idles great... but tons of bog at various higher r's...... but as long as you ride normal its fine.....advice on what to look for still needed.      Waiting for spare to rebuild or replace current carb.                I did however just aquire full fairing/most brackets.... but was badly damaged and cost me over $300/shipping.....wish I would have known about the fairing back when,,,,, as I would have bought one.. new..... back then...Oh well.A fairing just makes for a more comfortable ride and extends the season.I came across the ROV a year ago, right after carb debockle,And with their help I will be able to keep it going another 25 yrs.  Good Luck with your V              Greg

Lucky

the bog (we call it "Vision stumble") is 2 things:
clean carbs, & adjusted carbs (pilot & synq)
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Scott_Mc

Owned an `82 XZ for 22(?) years!
Current 2-`85 and 1-`86 GS1150E/ 1-`85 GS700ES
Wanted:-ST1300 :-O !!

inanecathode

Quote from: Lucky on January 31, 2007, 10:28:33 PM
Quote from: DaveTN on January 31, 2007, 09:09:13 PM
...So, he told me it was an 82 Yamaha XZ550 Vision that he got from another guy that we worked with (who later hung himself in jail)...

I don't think you ever mentioned that part to me before...
by the way, your bike is haunted & Penny is freaking out....

My vision's title came with a death certificate stapled to it... o_O
Something overall creepy about the way almost all of us have gotten our visions. They haunt us, or just appear, or migrate to the top of the ad pile, or to a pile of bikes... weird.

My aquisition story isnt nearly as cool or as long as others here... I was cruising craigslist thinking 'damn, i need a street bike' and saw my black beauty on there for 400 bucks. Looked good, sounded good, later that day i was picking it up, and until yesterday it's been a driveway queen!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kwells

My first vehicle was actually an 82 back in my senior year of HS 91.  Road the hell out of it for a summer and fall but in chicago it gets cold fast so I garaged the bike and got a 79 AMC Concord.  That fall I was oggling a CBR600 and decided to sell the V and put 100.00 down on the CBR. Needless to say I couldn't get financed on a brand new Honda so I went without a bike.....for 13 years! By then I had moved to NYC and I got a bug to do an internet search for a 1982 Vision.  Found a for sale ad on a Forum that had not had any new posts for nearly 2 years.  I emailed the guy anyway and asked if was for sale and got a reply.  So off to VA to get my V#2.  I never got it running right and developed an electrical problem so it sat for another season.  Then in 2005 there was a posting on this site for a V for sale (new member).  I followed up and found out it was in mint condition and only 563 miles.  Apparently the owner had died but it just sat in his basement for nearly a decade prior to that.  He stopped riding after his friend got killed on his bike coming home from the dealership.  So my V has 2 fatalities attached to my getting it.  Now I have 2 Visions and got an 01 Triumph Sprint ST since the V isnt so great for 2 Up riding.  It's a great bike and I love the uniqueness.  It always gets looks at stop lights and can still keep up with the newer bikes unless we are doing the straights.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

George R. Young

Traded ny '73 RD350 on an '82 Vision in 1984. I was looking for something with shaft drive and power characteristics more suited to touring.

munkyfistfight

I was reminiscing about this thread and found a picture in a cigar box from the day I yanked my bike from the junkyard. Thought I'd share.

Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

mustang_pg

The vision! My buddy bought one from a friend that bought and sold old bikes it was in the back of the barn i think he got it for 100 bux. both tires where trashed the gas tank was really rusted in two it was a very sad sad looking bike at first... and i laughed when he bought it!! but being the friend i am i helped get it started for him. we strapped a small fuel cell to it, sprayed the carbs "clean" bought a battery did a little tinkering and finally got it to run and after i heard the sound come out of those rusted out mufflers i thought to my self i got to have this bike!!@!! it sounded great... so i keep hinting to him i wanted to buy it from him for about a year by then i had found a new gas tank and new tires for him then out of the blue my birthday came around and he came to me and said hey heres your gift!! and he handed me the KEY!!! i was shocked amazed and excited so that week end i went to the local parts dealer and started buying every thing i thought i needed for it...started puttin it together and realized all the little problems this bike had lol  :o and till this day it sits and every weekend i try alittle more to get it going and this weekend i will PORing my gas tank ,, re-dipping the carbs syncing the carbs and see if i can have any better luck after all is done i will have a nice rideable "V"