News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Taking to the road again with dreams of horsepower

Started by treedragon, November 27, 2007, 08:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

my bluff has been called
but I stand by my claim of 64 horsies!
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

XZv2

Kwells, how many XZ's will have 64 hp and will ever have had 64 hp?
German long-distance testers put their XZ in 1983 on a test-bench: How few horsepower were really available, turned out at the end of the test when the XZ was put on a Bosch test-unit. This test-unit showed that it had 49 horsepower at the clutch and only a ridiculous 43 hp at the rear wheel. So it is no surprise that the maximum speed with two persons on the bike was only slightly over 155 km/h (155 kph = ca 97 mph). See my website, topic long-distance test.
XZv2

kwells

i find that a bit of sugar in the tank accts for the increase in power

www.wellsmoto.com

QBS

Kwells: I know you are kidding about the sugar.  However, I suspect that the forum has lot of lurkers that might be at the early stages of the learning curve and therefore take your comment seriously.  We all need to be senstive to that, with some of the the things we say here in jest. 

To whom it may concern:  Sugar in any internal combustion engines' fuel tank is a Bad Thing.

All the best.

kwells

yes...
high alcohol beer has been proven to work the best though

www.wellsmoto.com

QBS

Rick G

John , I'm amazed,  we had an email conversation about JE pistons  about 5 years ago and you typed about 6 words !  Thanks for  participating  and welcome back to the forum.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

johnclemens

Thanks guys,
For awhile there I was the man when it came to visions.
7 class championships and 50 plus race wins on visions.
quit racing a few years back, "The older I get the faster I was"
I'm not much of a forum dude. I don't type fast and I am always working on something. I kinda lurk in the background till something gets me wound up enough to chime in. I still have the old XZR650 and I am turning it into a street bike/ street fighter style. I've got a R1 font end and brakes on it now and building a exhaust like the Britton. one pipe from each port in front around the head and down both sides on the motor. I'll shoot some pictures one of these days and post em up for ya all.
Keep em running!

Walt_M.

Thank you John! I have looked at this post knowing it was a load of crap for quite a while but had no real proof. Good to hear form one of the immortals who has been there and done that. Also thanks to Rick G. Always good to hear it from the folks who were there.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiger

:) JohnC...I'm so pleased to know that someone, like yourself, with so much experience, would come onto the ROV and share some of your vast knowledge. I would love to hear more from you, (I type real slow, as well!!), and see some of your Vision pictures.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

pullshocks

I was at the International Motorcycle Show on saturday, checking out the Yamaha FZ6 and did quite a double take when I heard somebody say "Don't give up your Vision".  It was John Clemens.

zore

Quote from: QBS on November 30, 2007, 06:17:46 PM
Kwells: I know you are kidding about the sugar.  However, I suspect that the forum has lot of lurkers that might be at the early stages of the learning curve and therefore take your comment seriously.  We all need to be senstive to that, with some of the the things we say here in jest. 

To whom it may concern:  Sugar in any internal combustion engines' fuel tank is a Bad Thing.

All the best.

Myth busters busted the sugar in the fuel tank theory.  No worries.

My duc started off on the dyno at 73hp and with High Comp pistons carbs and some other modifications, it dynod in at 86hp.  Given the seat of the pants feeling, I would say 45 to 50 rwhp is probably what the vision has.  Considering a well built sv650 struggles to pull 85hp with loads of mods, I can't see the vision pulling that sort of hp.  Sorry kwells... myth busted.  :)
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kwells

yes I saw that mythbusters too...but with today's 10% ethanol fuels...the charged alcohol molecules have no problem dissolving the sweetness.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Why all the HP complaints?  My first car - a '62 VW Bug - had only 40 horsies.  Probably a bit more torque than the V, but look at the weight difference!  Sure, the V can't keep up in straight line acceleration with the big boys, but it does great in the twisties.  Plus, the wide torque band is what makes the engine truly special - much less shifting required.

You want insane power to weight ratios, go buy a ZX-14 or Hayabusa!   ::)

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Actually I agree H20....Even the bigboys are fast if u are referring to the big cruisers.  I know an 1100 Shadow cant come close to keeping up. the FAST bikes arent even something to contend with.

www.wellsmoto.com