News:

Main Menu

Just picked up an '82

Started by turbosteve84, November 11, 2014, 11:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbosteve84

Just picked this up yesterday. "Ran when parked three years ago." OK...
Need to flush the stale gas (tank is new!) and clean the carbs. Battery is on its way. Hope to fire it up -- or attempt to -- this weekend.
I read many of the posts and will change out those rear brake strut bolts tomorrow. Stator and R/R wiring connectors look good -- no sign of melting. (I also own a Suzuki XN85 Turbo so I've "been there - done that" with weak electrical systems.
Seller said it's guaranteed to run. He didn't mention how well.
Other than that -- guys, what should I be looking for? I read somewhere else that the carbs were recalled by Yamaha. Didn't say what for. How can I tell if these carbs received that service?
My friends at the local mc shop won't talk to me after I informed them I bought a Vision. But they did give me a free, well used service manual! Said they never want to see the bike again.
I blog at saddlebums.tumblr.com about motorcycling in the Lower Hudson Valley of NY/NJ if anyone is interested.

--Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

The Prophet of Doom

Hi Steve & welcome
The photoshop of the cafe vision was well received here. There's a copy of it on the wall of my bar but unfortunately not high enough res to print out at a1 size.  The 82 had quite a few changes to 83. Carbs are different, fairing and handlebar height/ footpegs most notable. There was an upgrade for the 82 carb ex factory to a vacuum air box flapper that you may or may not have.  But the stock 82 carbs can be made to run very well indeed.

Check my sig for a long to thread of every publication I know of except Haynes.

Good luck with your project. -  feel free to ask any questions

The Prophet of Doom

And the U.S. 82 model was the only one with single disk brake, and both us models I think had lower gears than the rest of the world. Replace Le with a cog and clutch basket swap.

turbosteve84

Thanks, POD.
Is there an easy way to tell if this bike has the carb upgrade? I guess I'll have a good idea when I fire it up.  --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Re-Vision

The forward carb should have a vacuum line running from its front side to a vacuum actuator in the air box.      BDC

turbosteve84

Thanks, R-V. I'll look for that, hopefully before the polar vortex arrives here in the northeast USA.
Has anyone ever experimented with K&N air filters? With such a complex air box it looks like it would be a problem that may not have an answer.

--Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

jefferson

I think I have the only K@N air filter for the Vision. I sent a stock one to them and they had a service where they took it apart and rebuilt it using their filtering media. They no longer perform this service. I advised of this in an old newsletter, but have no idea if anyone else did it. It works fine. Uni used to have a filter for our bikes, but don't know if they still do. I always preferred K@N's.

Rikugun

Too late regarding the polar vortex - I think it arrives today.  :(

I am familiar with Suzuki's 650 turbo but had to look up the XN85. Did I also see a 750 Kawi turbo in one of the videos?

I'd heard about the falls in Patterson but your entry on that site has inspired me to visit next season. I especially appreciate the heads up on parking and a lunch spot.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

turbosteve84

Riku -- Yeah, the Falls are a cool place to visit. It's a national park now, so the site is slated for improvements. Hope they don't "improve" it too much. There's also a museum in the area that's worth a visit. It honors the "Silk City" heritage and the first working submarine among other things. Best $2 you'll ever spend.

Yeah, in addition to the XN85 I have, or had, a Kaw 750 Turbo. Had an accident back in Sept. that sidelined me and the bike. Wondering now if it's worth resurrecting. Would need new engine cases.

OK, back to the Vision. My broken collarbone (see above) limits, right now, how much I can do on the bike. But I did remove the brake strut bolts as to the "Urgent Warning" posted on this site (see attached image). Removing the mufflers are giving me a hard time for some strange reason. (Loosen the three exhaust pipe clamps, and remove the rear foot pegs, correct?)

Well, the bolts look fine for a bike with over 30K miles. Here's the possible life-saving question(s):Do you replace them with the same OEM bolts? Or are there aftermarket bolts that you would recommend? The bolts seem very specific to the Vision.

Riku, if you're ever up in the northeast part of NJ look me up. Great riding just north of here (Harriman State Park, Seven Lakes Drive, Bear Mountain) with a growing motorcycle scene. But wait until the vortex passes.
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

turbosteve84

Before I forget -- I'm planning to remove the fuel tank today. It doesn't appear that I have the modded air box (can't see a vacuum line running from the front carb) but I want to inspect the box just to be sure. I see that the modded box is no longer available from Yamaha. So, if it is indeed an older box can the bike still be made to run correctly with it? Can modded air boxes still be found? Thanks -- Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

turbosteve84

OK. It's official. I have the dreaded old-style air box. Blessed are those who expect nothing for they shall not be disappointed.
Anyone have a modded box they would like to get rid of? If not, how about a photo of one so I can shop it around the salvage yards?  --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

jefferson

You will need the updated air box lid, the box is the same. Also needed will be the air filter with the corner angled and the updated carb top as the source for the vacuum. Pretty sure that is it.

turbosteve84

Updated carb top, heh? That may be hard to find. I'm assuming it's just a port for the vacuum that differentiates the two.
Did find four modified boxes on ebay. One looked like pig vomit, the other three I've requested photos of the inside of the box so I can see that the valve is there.

Thanks for your help! --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Re-Vision

Top with actuator, vacuum line running through hole in the box which connects to front carb.      BDC

turbosteve84

Thanks, RV. Just bought a good looking one on ebay.
Took the carbs apart today. Both main jets are 130. Are these the correct jets? I thought I read somewhere that the sizes are different for each carb.
I need to create a vacuum port on the front carb for the modded air box hose. Would anyone have a photo of the inside of the carb throat so I can see where it goes?
Thanks --Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Re-Vision

Right side vacuum port is 10mm from bottom of carb top. Angled port at front of carb connects to an ambient air filter.    BDC

fret not

Steve, just cast a net for a used carb top with the vent.  There are some out there.  Oh yeah, the swap shop section.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

I don't have a first gen set to compare with but as evidenced by Bobby's (Re-Vision) pic there may be more to it than adding a "vacuum" port. The placement and sizing of the port also seems to be critical as the signal is very subtle.

I can't (won't) comment on correct jet sizes as there are many opinions on the matter. Having said that, the updated kit did come with different jet sizes over stock?

You also asked about the brake stay bolts. I suppose NOS parts would work. My theory on failure is over-torqueing and/or rust. The step from 8mm threads to 10mm shoulder may cause a stress riser as well. Many have replaced with 10mm bolts with head markings of 10.9. Parts riding on threads should be avoided. I had some Kawasaki brake stay bolts available and used them. They are 10mm with metal tab lock nuts and drilled ends for cotter pins. I thought I had a better pic but you can just make them out in this one..
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

turbosteve84

Thanks, guys, for the replies. Amazing site -- you ask a question and you get answers!
Looks like I may need to buy a complete carb set to get that ported carb top (and that little air filter thing). I may just try installing a port on my existing carb top -- what do I have to lose?
I agree; brake strut bolts just need monitoring. The ones I have look as good as new. Zero sign of any rust or stress. Still, I'll look for similar bolts from other manufacturers that might fit.
Cleaned out carbs today. Some crud in bottom of bowls but other than that they look fine. Have the bowls and pilot jets soaking in some Yamaha carb cleaner/fuel mixture overnight. Also ordered some butterfly valve shaft seals from Boats.net. $2+ for each. Prices vary wildly but Boats.net were the best by far.
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com