Gas tank dent

Started by Re-Vision, July 20, 2009, 09:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

I have a beautiful red gas tank with a vertical ten inch crease down the right side maybe one inch deep.  Will body shops do this kind of repair, What do ROVer's recommend?  BDC

QBS

A competent body shop should be able to handle your problem in their sleep.  MC tanks are made out of very thin steel to keep weight down.  The dent should be pulled out and then the residual damage can be dealt with using plastic.

YellowJacket!

Had a huge dent in the "triangle" on one side of my tank and another in the same place on the other side. BOth were filled with a huge amount of bondo which I found out after I stripped the tank to paint it.  I took it to a shop (the same guy that did my saddle bag brackets) and he cut out one side of the tank and replaced the metal because it was so bad and tack welded what looked like nails to the other.  He used a puller to grip the nails and pull out the big dent.
Afrer pulling the dent he cut the "nails" off then sanded it all down and cleaned it all up.  Once it was done, you could hardly tell anything was done to the tank.
Unfortunately time and water had taken its toll on the tank and the low spots started leaking like a garden sprinkler.  A good gremlin fixed those for me for my birthday (thanks Lucky!) and they lasted for a while too.

But yes, a good body shop can fix dents on a tank.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

I've done them with a dent puller with a sheet metal screw tip. I used a scratch awl to make the pilot hole , screw it in and slowly  pull the dent out . It usually takes several pilot holes to get it out. In the end you have to weld up the holes in the tank , which needs to be done by someone familiar with welding up gas tank'sl .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kiwi

i popped a few decent sized dents on my Infiniti after i ran into a low ceiling with some bikes on the roof
the "as seen on TV" kit worked pretty well.
It's basically a hot glue gun, a plastic thingee you glue to the metal, and then a brace you attach to it and screw down until it pops.
It made a small improvement the first time i tried it on the vision, going to try again soon.

I got it at autozone
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kiwi on July 22, 2009, 01:09:29 AM
i popped a few decent sized dents on my Infiniti after i ran into a low ceiling with some bikes on the roof
the "as seen on TV" kit worked pretty well.
It's basically a hot glue gun, a plastic thingee you glue to the metal, and then a brace you attach to it and screw down until it pops.
It made a small improvement the first time i tried it on the vision, going to try again soon.

I got it at autozone

I used that to remove a couple dents afer my daughters ex-boyfriend kicked her car.  It for the dent from his foot out fine but I had some difficulty with the dents that I made with his head afterwards.  Apparently his nose left too big  a crease for the Dent King to handle.  The door and the hood both look a lot better.  Can't say much for the ex though.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)