News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

cruise contol

Started by GT @ oh., July 21, 2009, 02:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT @ oh.

Has anyone put one on there Vision .....was thinking of doing so.....I would like one that is as easy as possible to put on.....no mods

funkamongus

the PO had one on the vision I have.. I took it off.. only because it was old and had too much friction making the throttle sticky.. the point,, theyre out there. No mods.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

YellowJacket!

Lucky has one on his.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

I installed a Vista-Cruise on my V shortly after I bought it.  After 25 years of faithful service, it still works great.  It is just a throttle lock, and after getting it properly sdjusted, the throttle moves smoothly, returns to idle as if nothing extra is there & it holds the throttle wherever it is set when I flip the lever.  I tend to use it only when I need to give my throttle hand a bit of a break on longer rides.  Flip the lever, take the hand off the throttle, keep it down at my side & shake the blood back into it for a few seconds, then get back to normal riding.

Throttlemeister does essentially the same thing, but costs much more $$.

If you are looking for something more complex:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-cruise-control/
http://www.mccruise.com/

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

GT @ oh.

throttle lock is what I'm look for....like you said just to get a little relief on longer rides.....sooo how easy are they to install on a vision.....I've seen on some bikes they just clamp on to the handle bars...but the V has no real bars and is bulky near the throttle no place for clamping...or is there?

kiawrench

GT  __ i have a new one ,, been opened ,but decided i dont need to add to my bike riding troubles, send me an addy, i will send it
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

The Vista Cruise takes almost no room on the bar.  Here's some pix:

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I've had a couple of throttle locks on mine , I wouldn't be with out it on long rides.  The one I have right now, has a forked clip built on to it that holds onto the throttle cable, to keep the whole thing from turning with the throttle . One fork broke off, so I put a small zip tye around it , works even better.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

Another option is to use a "wrist rest".  These wrap around the hand grip and provide a lever for the wrist/palm area of the hand to push against.  The result is that the throttle doesn't have to tightly gripped to hold it in position against the return spring.  Really takes the stress off the hand.  Cost is in the $8.00 range.

Another option:  When I installed my first set of foam grips, I pushed the throttle grip hard against plastic disc that separates the grip from the Hi/Lo switch Assembly.  This had the effect of making a friction operated throttle lock.  Worked great for years until the grip finally wore out.

kiawrench

GT  i got the pack out of my lower desk drawer, is exactly same vista cruise H20 is usin g,, easy mounted, works great , my problem is local traffic  more than any other reason for not using it . need to just get it mailed, then you into world of long day rides !
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

GT @ oh.

That sounds great......the vista looks perfect..... wrist relief aaaaah

kiawrench

GT  mail on the way ,, dont worry shipping and what not , glad to help, it costs less than a coffee and donut, so i wont miss it at all.

just have to make it a point to look at i t often,remind self it is there and in use ,, an emergency with a throttle lock on can be very serious ,very fast , and very sad for all .

Rick G

I don't run mine so tight , I can't shut the throttle in an emergency.  It wouldn't pay!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

They do take a little time to get adjusted properly, but like Rick said, make sure you can still twist the throttle both directions while it is engaged.  I use mine sparingly, but when I do, I'm very happy I have it!

H2O

RadRacer

~'97 3.8L V6 Camaro~   Cam'd daily driver
~'83 Yamaha XZ550RK Vision~   Cruiser :)

Night Vision

I think you underestimate the value of above said throttle lock..... that's a brilliant piece of engineering  :o

I know what I'll be doing today... well, at least 5 minutes of it....

thanks for the link
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

which requires you to take your hand off the bar to loosen the rope when you want to disengage the cruise control.  In an emergency situaltion, it presents less than ideal conditions.
I like the one on H2O's and Luckys bike.  It requires a simple flip of the thumb to disengage and allows you to keep you hand on the bar/throttle.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

I have the same type on my bike (the vista cruise).  Had it for about 20 years and it still works.

Brian

funkamongus

I should try to put the old one I took off, back on. I may need a hand figuring out what goes where and if I have all the parts in one place.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

h2olawyer

I think I owned my V about 3 days before I installed the Vista Cruise.  I don't even remember how it installs.  After all, that was 25 years ago in June.  I know it consists of the ring / thumb lever and one thin, slick washer / bushing that allows the grip to slide against the ring / thumb lever.  There is an adjuster on the backside of the thumb lever that sets the friction.  It also came with a special tool for the adjustment, but a screwdriver works better.

Installation was quick but as I recall, getting the proper adjustment took me some time.  There seems to be a real small sweet spot and finding it took a fair amount of trial & error the first time.  I haven't had to adjust it since I got it properly set all those years ago.  It worked with the OEM grips, two sets of Grab On foam grips and a set of Gel grips without doing anything to the adjustment.

They make (or at least made - are they still in business?) different models for different size bars and for single / double throttle cable bikes.

As for the elastic rope doo-hickey, you could make it with thumb loops and it might be easier / more convenient to operate at speed.

H2O