Little holes on back cylinder.

Started by [jh], August 01, 2007, 07:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[jh]

I'm getting some oil comming out of the little hole on the back cylinder housing. I notice it most when I rider er a little hard. Is this a normal occurence?
wow!

Lucky

you have the same hole on the opposite side on the front cylinder

they are drain holes from the spark plug area to keep water from pooling up around the plug in the rain etc.

often they clog with oil & debris & need to be cleaned out.  pull the plug boots out & spray carb cleaner with the straw tube up the hole & down around the spark plug. you should be able to clear it out. i used a long pipe cleaner on one of mine.

then check for a valve cover oil leak.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

[jh]

I'm planning on changing the plugs maybe this week end,should i spray down around there?

Also, any recommended plugs?
wow!

h2olawyer

Clean out the area around the plugs BEFORE you remove them.  There's some gunk in there that won't do the cylinder walls or pistons any good.

Plugs - NGK D8EA or the iridium version of the same thing.  I've had the standard NGKs & NDs.  Couldn't really tell any difference, but the NGKs are what came on it from the factory.  I hear the iridiums are great, but they're more $$.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

[jh]

I try not to let money affect my choices for my little blck beauty., so the better the plug thats what I want.

I f I spray up the hole wont the gunk fall down into the cylinder.
wow!

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kevin

h2olawyer

Cool Vision Trick:

When removing the plug wires, use a compressor with a blow gun that has the rubber tip.  Put it tightly against the hole & open the gun.  The plug wires will pop right off the plugs and normally even come clear of the cylinders!  Amaze your friends.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

[jh]

Hm......... changed my plugs today.................................. and found something rather interesting................... one of the plugs was loose enough to unscrew with my fingures.

she was a little sluggish at around 4000-5000 rpm and now thats gone. woohoo!

now I change my rear brake brace bolts.
wow!

ColinthePilot

just did that with my new wheels and tires. New tires do wonderful things to ride quality!
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning