News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Stator Removal

Started by geolin, June 06, 2002, 09:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geolin

Looks like I need to replace the stator. I determined this by going though the Electrex flow chart (not even close to 50v's AC while reving-up to 5,000 rpm's.) I?ve got an idea where the stator is located (left side of the bike inside of the crankcase) but I?m not sure what I have to dismantle to get at it? Do I need to drain the oil, and remove every last bolt off the casing or is there an easier way?

Could someone give me a quick step-by-step on how to remove the stator? Judging by the entries on this site (stator and R/R problems galore) there should be some experts out there that have done this operation more than once. I have the Yamaha service manual, but it doesn?t include removing the stator, only testing it.

Thanks,
George

George R. Young

Yes, the left side cover has to come off, and bits like the clutch cable, the neutral switch wire, etc. Haynes recommends a cardboard pattern to stick the bolts into, they're different lengths and have to go back into their proper home. There's a left side gasket which will probably have to be replaced, and lots of goop around the wires/grommets where they enter the engine, to prevent oil leaks.

The stator is held FIRMLY to the case by phillips head screws and these should be removed with an impact driver.

It can all be done without draining the oil, by tilting the bike at an angle, up against a wall or something. If I ever have to replace the stator on a trip, picture the bike in a campground leaning up against a tree.

Lucky

You could lean the bike over in a pinch, but i wouldn't reccomend it for normal service, remember used oil is a carcinogen, not to mention unhealthy for the nviroment, plus you would need a good stable surface under the bike to keep it from sinking in while you are hammering away and putting pressure on various nuts, etc.  for ten bucks, go get a new filter and a few quarts of oil.

there are tips and instructions on my site, Vision Resources, at http://www.geocities.com/lucky_142
on stator removal. plus go to your local bike shop and order the haynes manual for the bike. if you order it soon, you will probably have the stator and the manual at the same time.

there is a part # on the "replacement parts" page of my site with the haynes manual number.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

QuoteIf I ever have to replace the stator on a trip, picture the bike in a campground leaning up against a tree.

Hey, How many times did you have to replace a stator during a trip???? Do you always, I mean everybody, have spare stator in a bag while going on the trip?
nie ma podpis?w

Rick G

Hi Humber, i don't carry one on rides that are 10 to150 miles from home. But i have a spare and I would carry it  and a R/R one trips longer than that . chances are you will never need it BUT if you have one , why not!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

George R. Young

Once a year, I take a long trip on the Vision, around 18 so far.

Twice I have been struck by stator death, 150 and 500 miles from home. The bike runs remarkably far without lights only on the battery.

But, now I'm prepared with the stator from a parts bike.

qqbs

I don't carry a spare stator, but I do carry a spare TCI unit and a spare clutch lever.  Cheers.