News:

Main Menu

The AKvision RPM stumble, pt 2

Started by rhpaw, May 12, 2009, 02:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

hmmm... jets swapped and hoses swapped too  :-\ those are some crazycake carbs  ::)

are you by chance dislexic dyslexic  ???

dyslexic people of the world.. UNTIE!
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Kid Jedi

High speed sounds like electrical. Try replacing the wires and caps. its a cheap & easy thing to fix and you arn't out more than a few bucks if I am wrong.
Loves to over think things.

Rick G

Just don't use carbon core car wires . Get wire core from your local lawnmower shop.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

rhpaw

Quote from: Night Vision on May 13, 2009, 09:15:33 PM
are you by chance dislexic dyslexic  ???

I multitask by drinking heavily and fixing at the same time.
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

inanecathode

Quote from: Kid Jedi on May 13, 2009, 09:35:42 PM
High speed sounds like electrical. Try replacing the wires and caps. its a cheap & easy thing to fix and you arn't out more than a few bucks if I am wrong.

It's not, it's all over stumble with a surge on throttle roll off.

Rhpaw: Remember when i was like "You sure you have the vacuum flapper hooked up to the right port?" then you were like "oh yeah, totally". Good times :P
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

akvision

well maybe.... one at a time guys..we will get this unit fixed.. i need it in
September.  one way or the other it will be sorted out.  Rhpaw has yet to tackle the starter seal and he has new high tension solid plug wires too.  I know, if it isn't broke we are not fixing it.
just waiting for hte next report.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

rhpaw

Sorry guys, I was too tired last night. wound up watching TV. Tonight I have the season finale of LOST to watch-- but I'll probably put the bike together after that, but no starting and driving.
I always have to sit and ponder a LOST episode for a few hours after I watch it.. I find that working on the bike goes welll with that.

I'm sure the misrouted hose will fix it.

Night Vision

Quote from: rhpaw on May 14, 2009, 01:22:34 AM

I multitask by drinking heavily and fixing at the same time.

I like your style! I resurrected my brother's powered by beer

Quote from: rhpaw on May 14, 2009, 11:37:29 AM

I'm sure the misrouted hose will fix it.

sounds like that'll do it! Yay! 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

If i recall correctly (which is seldom, given my brain storage record so far) the two ports in question are different in that one is ported, and one is not. I'm trying to think which is which, but either way if you hook them up wrong you'll end up with a flapper that's working backwards. Open when it should be closed, and closed when it should be open.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the flapper uses manifold vacuum, as ported vacuum would be momentary and more of an emissions (GASP) or ignition control (old school) type of signal. Manifold vacuum is for acting on things.

Kid Jedi

Maby your mixture screw o-rings are going out....

inanecathode

Quote from: Kid Jedi on May 14, 2009, 11:46:07 PM
Maby your mixture screw o-rings are going out....

Why would that cause a lean condition so bad it wont run right under wot? Mixture screws are for idle performance only.

rhpaw

idle to about 4k, yea... The idle screws are fine.
Last night I finished LOST for the season and put the bike back together. I started it this morning but didn't get a ride to test.
So far so good.
With the YICs disconnected, I was getting an stable idle of 1000 while it sat there cold.... Quite surprising, actually as my idle seemed much smoother with YICs installed last week. I'll have to wring her out today i nthe afternoon and see where my idle is now, and if I resolved the highRPM crap. Then adjust idle/sync/mix again, then re-install YICs.

hmm.. maybe it works now.

inanecathode

... But i did ask if the lines were connected to the right fittings :P

rhpaw

nah.. I'm thinking out of the box  :D

akvision

Ok, I guess I have to wait for an answer on Monday... going out boat camping on the backside of the island.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Kid Jedi

well i had a rich stumble caused by my mixture screws leaking, so just an idea :)

Kid Jedi

Did you put the spring on the acc. pump on the wrong side of the diaphragm?

inanecathode

Quote from: Kid Jedi on May 15, 2009, 09:13:22 PM
Did you put the spring on the acc. pump on the wrong side of the diaphragm?

Why would this cause an overly lean repeatable off throttle surge?

Kid Jedi

because the carbs are tuned for the addition of the acc. pump.

inanecathode

How does the accelerator pump have to do with an off-wot surge though, is what i'm asking :P
Accelerator pump(s) are for off idle enrichment because theres not enough vacuum in that sudden moment to pull enough fuel, then the pump runs out of fuel to squirt right as the vacuum is coming on for the main jets. The accelerator pump is a single, momentary, additional enrichment of fuel not a continual source as are the idle and main jets (and mid range jets if'n you're fancy)
Now if your check balls are missing from the accelerator passages, then you're in for a world of bizzaro problems...