High Volts

Started by cvincer, September 17, 2013, 03:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cvincer

So, I tried cleaning the connector terminals (brown, red, black) but still + 16v @ 3000 & 6000rpm

Tried replacing the rec/regulator, but still  + 16v

Tried with the headlight on & got  14.2v @ 3000rpm  &  14.3v @ 6000rpm.

When I get some more time I'll try the hack, until then I'll just run it with the lights on.

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

The Prophet of Doom

One trouble spot for me was the ignition switch.  It bridges the red and brown circuits when you turn the key on so a likely cause of your voltage drop. 
It's a bit of a mission pulling it apart and cleaning all the rather small contacts, but it's doable, and cheaper than replacing it.

Rikugun

I wonder if this is a non issue. I don't own AGM batteries nor have I researched their charging requirements so I'm no expert. Is there some evidence 16 volts is harmful to them?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

supervision

Hey Rikugun, I just noticed you said you put a mosset on for a while which gave 14.5, my bet is the mosset is not using the brown wire. If cvincer buys a new r/r it will solve his problem the same way, by going around the brown, my way of repairing is to find the cure for overcharging, by tricking the old on in to not overcharging.   Think about how many people cured it that way and are convinced the old r/r was the problem.
" border="0

QBS

FWIW, Vs destined for the USA were wired to always run with the headlight on, so as to be in compliance with DOT regulations.

supervision

QBS, what about your overcharging?
" border="0

QBS

Installed a used '83 RegRec, connected a wire (yellow, I think but am not absolutely certain) directly to the batterys' + post, and now have 13.2 vdc at idle.

supervision

" border="0

Rikugun

Quote from: supervision on September 21, 2013, 12:26:09 PM
  Hey Rikugun, I just noticed you said you put a mosset on for a while which gave 14.5, my bet is the mosset is not using the brown wire. If cvincer buys a new r/r it will solve his problem the same way, by going around the brown, my way of repairing is to find the cure for overcharging, by tricking the old on in to not overcharging.   Think about how many people cured it that way and are convinced the old r/r was the problem.

I had 2 MOSFETs and neither had voltage sensing wires and to my knowledge none do?  I tried them for reasons other than their steady predictable output - that was kind of a bonus.  :)  Based on my limited experience with them I'd agree if cvincer tried one he'd realize nominal 14 at the battery but then again I've never tried AGM batteries.

I'm now using a conventional shunt style R/R. Plus and minus go directly to the battery and the brown goes to a switched source. The 15 to 16 volts max I get with my 2 vintage bikes using this style R/R I would have once considered overcharging. From what I've read this may be due to a voltage drop over aging connections such that the system voltage sensing circuit registers a drop relative to battery voltage.

Of the two bikes, I'd consider "tricking" the Vision into charging less as they are notorious for burning stators. My Kawi on the other hand has the original stator and R/R with 47k miles and no signs of ill effects. It's charged at it's current rate for many years.......looking for some wood to knock on.......   ;)

Quote from: QBS on September 22, 2013, 11:20:04 PM
Installed a used '83 RegRec, connected a wire (yellow, I think but am not absolutely certain) directly to the batterys' + post, and now have 13.2 vdc at idle.
QBS, could you confirm it's the yellow?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

supervision

Rikugun, any charging system with a regulator is designed to hold battery voltage at no higher than 14.5 volts. Beyond 14.5 you are boiling the battery.  Remember That Cvincer asked the question, about overcharging, you are keeping the thread going by saying in your non expert opinion, it is no big deal.  As long as we are talking overcharging, Modesto Battery, showed me one of those new style lithium batteries that had exploded from over charging.
" border="0

Rikugun

Actually I was responding to your last comment directed at me specifically. I've made it abundantly clear I am not an expert and furthermore have never owned an AGM battery therefore know not what cvincers results may or may not be. I did not say it was no big deal but simply asked it if was a big deal.
Quote from: Rikugun on September 21, 2013, 08:22:26 AM
I wonder if this is a non issue. I don't own AGM batteries nor have I researched their charging requirements so I'm no expert. Is there some evidence 16 volts is harmful to them?

Otherwise I'm just offering my experience which I understand is contrary to otherwise commonly held beliefs and is only relative to lead acid batteries BTW. If not for my experience I would agree my battery is being damaged but that simply hasn't happened. YMMV.  :)

CVINCER  - It would appear your charging system is putting out more than is needed. I have not looked for nor been offered any evidence this will damage your battery but many belief it will. I am not an expert on any type of battery, R/R or charging systems in general. I personally have no idea what damage may result from the charging voltage you described. It may be wise to take steps to reduce charging voltage.  Beyond that, please disregard any and all comments made be me on this matter. Thank you.  :)

cvincer

UPDATE:-

So that stator died, only  1255kms  after fitting the AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery & getting those high volt readings.

I've replaced that stator  +  spliced the brown into the red cable as earlier suggested in this thread.

With the headlight off  I now get  15.75v @ 3000rpm  (down from 16.5v)  & 16.3v @ 6000rpm (down from 16.75v)
........ the frame mounted R/R  is also running very hot only a few minutes after starting up.

Bearing in mind the cost of a stator (+ messing about fitting), & the cost of a battery,  think the solution would be to ditch the AGM  310cca  battery & go back to an  'ordinary' battery.

Thoughts ??

fret not

I don't think your battery is the problem.  You are getting more voltage than desired because of the REGULATOR not regulating so well.  I suggest you seek a better regulator / rectifier that will limit the charge to your battery to a bit over 14V. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

cvincer

I've already tried two good OEM  R/R's  (which provided the correct volts to 'ordinary' none Absorbed Glass Mat batteries),   +  a modification.    To start buying various brand regulators in the hope of finding one that gives  +14V  instead of  +/-  16V ....... is a none starter due to the cost.

Rikugun

Do AGM batteries have a slightly lower resting voltage than flooded acid batteries?

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Rikugun on January 12, 2014, 10:09:13 AM
Do AGM batteries have a slightly lower resting voltage than flooded acid batteries?
Mine certainly does.  It's a brand new motobatt I can charge at 14 point something volts on my trickle charger and will show 12.4 immediately it is disconnected.

@ cvincer,
Keep the battery and buy a Mosfet r/r.  They reliably output the correct voltage and are less likely to short and burn out your stator

Rikugun

QuoteMine certainly does.  It's a brand new motobatt I can charge at 14 point something volts on my trickle charger and will show 12.4 immediately it is disconnected.
Maybe this is the problem. Even connecting the brown voltage sensing wire directly to battery positive will still have the R/R (mistakenly) convinced more output is needed.

supervision

Flooded battery has lower resting voltage 12.5. AGM resting voltage 12.8. The way to safely get them up to that high, is to put on a 1/2amp charger and then monitor the voltage as it slowly climbs just don't leave it too long because you need to keep from going above 16. Then unhook the charger, and see what resting voltage is. That is why it is a good idea to have a small charger, because you proper working motorcycle is not going to ever get you battery fully charged.  On the flooded battery you do the same idea but when the voltage creeps to almost 16, you pull out your trusty hydrometer and you will get all cells equal. If you take the time your batteries are as good as intended .. Be careful of sparks the cause explosions.
" border="0

supervision

If the brown wire is truly making connection to the pos. and the running voltage is to high, the r/r needs replacement. I am running a honda shadow r/r because I thought the bigger size fins were cool, just had to make sense of the colors of wire.
" border="0

supervision

Does anyone know what happened to the thread with the old news letters??  I have looking can't find, thanks
" border="0