Carb theory questions?

Started by dj, July 02, 2007, 09:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

rebuild kits are also not always necessary if the jets and gaskets can be removed without damaging them.  The accelerator pump diaphram is the only thing I found was needed in doing the 'cleaning' of carbs.  It's nice to have those shiny brass parts to stick in there but can get by with less shine if needbe.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

:) KW...The idea is to go back to basics and eliminate each possible problem. With all the problem's that dj has had with these carb's, he would be better off using the full rebuild kit's, after-all, the carbs will be fully striped and cleaned, so why short cut... ::)  Given that we are running on 25 year old carbs, that have had no or very little maintenance previously, I believe that a full rebuild, using a complete rebuild kit, would be best advice at this stage...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kwells

not saying to shortcut by any means. If all the jets and check valves are removed there is only cleaning and inspection of those parts to consider.  They dont just fall apart and very rarely actually deteriorate with exception to the diaphram.  New jets will not compensate for incomplete cleaning of carb bodies and passages.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

Quote from: kwells on July 09, 2007, 06:32:30 PM

New jets will not compensate for incomplete cleaning of carb bodies and passages.

:)...Obviously!!!...That is why dj has them striped again and ready to re-dip...But what I'm saying is,  if you go to the trouble of buying kit's with the intention of only using them in part, why bother...please explain your reasoning...
What I am trying to do, in taking dj back to basics, is eliminate some of his frustration as to why his "V" won't run and help him understand why he needs to follow a set procedure...as per the armed forces way of training...which he is used to ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

kwells

I'm with ya.  But we have now been enlightened as to the fact that the carbs themselves were not cleaned properly.  The good thing with the kits is that DJ will now have to figure out where each of those new parts go...and will tell him where to make sure to clean! Good luck DJ

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

inanecathode

Or he never cleared the flood condition and his carbs are fine <_<
My experience at least (course it isnt a vision, but same difference) pilot jets plug very easily, and not lightly either, you have to physically remove the blockage, chemicals and pressure wont remove them.
Then again that'd mean it would start anyway but not idle <_<
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

dj

Actually didn't get on the forum last night.  Working more on the carbs.  It looks like I missed a "heated" debate about my carbs.

To set everyone straight on exactly what was going on with my carbs I'll give a brief explanation of what I found when I stripped everything down to the base componnets.

The main jets were plugged on both carbs, the pilot jets were clogged on both carbs, the needle valves (? towards the bottom of the carbs) were plugged, the check balls were so clogged up they didn't want to come out.  So my problem was that fuel was getting into the bowls and wasn't really going anywhere from there.  A little bit must have been getting through on the back carb because the back plug smelled like gas everytime I pulled it even though it was dry.  The only time that the plugs were wet is the few times that I tried pouring a bit of gas down each carb body to see if she would fire over.  It would go cachug cachug and then back to the normal of hearing the motor turn over.

Pretty much all the gaskets need to be replaced as they are either breaking down from age or like the top gaskets are very brittle.  I would be able to clean up the jets, but only one of them is marked with the size.  The other ones have something marked on the top (obviously the size) but they are so worn down with corrosion that I can't read them.

I still need to get the assemblies for the choke slides taken apart, but everything else has been wipped down and sprayed with compressed air to get out the majority of the junk and gas dust.  I'll be dipping them either tonight or thursday night.  Probably thursday night as I'll most likely have to go out and pick up my truck from the garage.

I'll be ordering the rebuild kits most likely on friday (payday) so I am hoping that it doesn't take to long for them to come in.  I'll be going down to NH to pick up my second V either on the 19th or the 26th depending on if I can get the 19th off.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

yiown

"i discarded the YICS,"
i meaned i tested it and it's OK. it's the original plastic one, with the original tubes.

the floats are OK and the needles move freely up and down and blocking the passage. with all that fuel going down the drain i adjusted the floats to the limit and... nothing changed.

confirm! i have a xz400 form '86!!!

i'm runing out of ideas, if it's not working after the weekend, i'll start looking for a good bike shop.

dj

Quote from: yiown on July 10, 2007, 11:04:28 AM
"i discarded the YICS,"
i meaned i tested it and it's OK. it's the original plastic one, with the original tubes.

the floats are OK and the needles move freely up and down and blocking the passage. with all that fuel going down the drain i adjusted the floats to the limit and... nothing changed.

confirm! i have a xz400 form '86!!!

i'm runing out of ideas, if it's not working after the weekend, i'll start looking for a good bike shop.

Check the oring on your drain screw for each carb.  it is in the lower left corner (phillips head screw) of each carb while standing on the left side of the bike.

As InaneCathode pointed out to me (had the same problem with gas coming out the drain line) that the orings on the drain screws were bad.  If gas is coming out the drain line then it isn't the floats.  If the floats were wrong then it would be going out the top through the overflow lines, not down the bottom through the drain lines.

CHECK THOSE ORINGS, they are most likely your problem and a really cheap and quick fix.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

firstone

DJ;  There's another Vision in NH ?

dj

Quote from: firstone on July 12, 2007, 06:27:33 PM
DJ;  There's another Vision in NH ?

Yeah, until next week at least.  I'm buying it off a guy in Warren NH.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)