rear shock size

Started by Lead_Deficiency, May 02, 2005, 10:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lead_Deficiency

Does any one know the length, diameter and size of mounting holes for a rear shock?

looking at a replacement shock off a gsx

h2olawyer

Hi Lead -

Just happen to have my 82 shock handy.  got out the mic & measured the following:

The pin for the rear (bottom) hole is 12mm (.474in)  

Rear bushing length is 45mm (1.774in.) (edge to edge)

Front (top) is same diameter

Front bushing length is 40mm (1.586in.) (edge to edge)

Hope this helps.  Can take photos if needed.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lead_Deficiency

thanks,  do you know the overall length?

the other shocks mounting holes are 10mm.

h2olawyer

Overall shock length is right around 13 3/4 inches.  The distance between the centers of the bushings is about 12 3/8 inches.  Measurements are within 1/4 inch - eyeballing it with a folding carpenter's rule.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lead_Deficiency

Great, thanks for the info.  Do you keep your bike parts in your living room?  lol

LD

jasonm.

YES,Center to center is 12-3/8". But you need the proper stroke(travel) on the shock. That is not easy. I checked through 50 shocks at a local used parts guy. Most monoshocks have a shorter stroke than ours. A few were close, but not close enough.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

h2olawyer

QuoteDo you keep your bike parts in your living room?

Wouldn't be the only one if I did!

The parts are easily accessable in the garage.  I'm in the process of reorganizing so I can set up a paint spray system & move my old computer out there.  Swapped to an 83 shock a couple weeks ago & the 82 just happened to be sitting at the end of the workbench waiting to get boxed, labeled & stored.  Glad my disorganization helped!   ;D

H2O

Lead_Deficiency

Thanks guys  :)

good point about the travel.

LD

Glyn Pickering

Hi there

See you are looking at replacing the rear shock. I've done a modification to my rear shock mount (very minor) to enable a Triumph T600 shock to be fitted. The eye to eye length is the same as the Vision's. I've had it fitted for about 3 months now and use the bike 5 days a week. The ride has really improved and I can throw it into rutted corners now with no probs at all. Just soaks the bumps up. I'm on pickteam@xtra.co.nz  if you want diags of the mod. Has a nice remote resevoir that fits snugly under the seat.
Cheers

Glyn Pickering