News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Multimeter Questions

Started by dchakrab, May 02, 2005, 08:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchakrab

Ok, so I saw on a vision site (was it Lucky's?) that I should pick up a multimeter for something or the other...or maybe it was in a forums post here. Since I assume I'll eventually have to delve into the electronics of this beast, I thought it would be a good idea to keep an eye out for a cheap one.

Sears had one on sale today for $10. It also had a $30, fancier big brother.

Is the super-cheap multimeter going to cut it, or should I return it? This one is analog, and says:

ac voltage to 500v
dc voltage to 500v
test batteries, 1.5 v and 9v.
dc amps to 250mA
resistance to 500k ohms.

Accuracy:

dc: +- 4%
ac: +- 5%
resistance: +- 4%

Claims to be ideal for testing and troubleshooting automotive systems, electronic games, solid state circuits, freeing Tibet, etc.

So, what is this thing good for, other than sitting on my desk and impressing my room mates with my mechano-savvy? Should I return it, or is it going to be sufficient for anything I might need to do on my Vision?

Thanks,

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

ProfessorRex

To fully test everything on the vision, you'll need a meter with diode testing ability.  I'd recomend returning the one you got and going for a better one.  I don't remember if it's the stator/RR test that needs diode testing or the TCI.  Either way it's best to have a meter that will work for everything.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

dchakrab

Hmm...unfortunately, $30 is more than I can afford right now. I'll have to leave it for a later purchase.

Is this $10 one worth keeping? Anything it's good for at all (regarding the bike) or should I return it and wait till I'm richer?

-Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

ProfessorRex

It's good for a lot of stuff... but not all that much on the vision electrical system.  I'd return it nad wait till you can get a good one.  You won't be able to check the stuff on the vision that goes wrong and needs to be checked without a meter that had diode testing.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

h2olawyer

Dave -

For testing the Vision electrics, a digital multimeter with diode capabilities is more accurate.  If your analog meter can do diodes, then it will probably work OK for the Vision.  The diodes that you will most likely need to test are in the R/R (regulator/rectifier).

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Mutt

The analog meter is cheap. I would just keep it for now and save for a digital for later. There are some advantages to having an analog meter. It isn't as sensitive as a digital meter and that allows you to (visually) see minor fluxuations in measurements. You CAN test diodes with it. Diodes usually open when they're bad. A digital meter or analog meter with diode testing simply applies the proper breakdown voltage to test diodes, usually .6 volts. When you use a basic analog meter your acutally applying more voltage than needed which could result in a false reading. Of course this is only important if your trying to determine if the diode is GOING bad. But like I said, usually diodes open rather than short. In either case, an analog meter will tell you if it is open or short while a digital meter can measure whether it is within tolerance. Keep in mind the diode could just be out of tolerance and still work so testing with a digital meter isn't as effective for automotive/motorcycle use. (in my opinion).
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Lucky

I'ts very common for the diodes in our R/R's to go bad without being totaly open, & of the 3 (or 4, i forget) diodes in the R/R, it only takes one to leave you stranded..  go with the digital, the analog will only confuse a newbie (no offense)
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dchakrab

Hmmm. Based on this, I think I'll keep the analog to play with (I'm sure I'll find a use for it somewhere) and plan to save up for a digital at some point in the future, when I need it.

Thanks guys,

Dave.

Mutt

No offense taken Lucky.

There's actually 6 diodes and one zener diode. Page 7-10 of the owner's manual shows you how to check them using.....an analog meter. Just being a smart @$$.  :-X

Dave- Hope to see you at the EROV in July. Give me a buzz if you need any help fingering things out.
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Lucky

Your right, i haven't looked at it in a while...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dchakrab

**Whoosh**

That was the sound of most of this thread, and most of the carb float needle setting thread, flying straight over my head.

I think this will be much clearer when it's daylight outside, I have this on a laptop in front of me, and I have some tools around to tinker. I'll definitely post back with some embarassingly newbie questions in the near future, assuming the weather's nice sometime this week.

-Dave.

Edit: The Dragon sounds incredible...it's something I will do, at some point. I just don't know if the bike and I are going to be up for it this summer...if I can get the bike so it's reliable for a 1000 mile trip out East, and I feel comfortable doing it with a tent on my back, then I'll see you in July.

Or I'll call you guys from a cornfield in Ohio and send you pictures of the bike so you can tell me how to fix it :)

-Dave.