? regarding exhaust reassembly

Started by QBS, October 27, 2003, 07:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Removed my right front exhaust pipe so as to replace the seal where that pipe penetrates the muffler/collector unit.  Pipe came off bike pretty easy.  Without disturbing the muffler/collector, removed the remains of the old seal and installed new seal.  Went to install pipe and find that I can't get it penetrate the muffler/collector as much as it did before.  It appears to be out about 3/4" futher that before.  This is even after I appear to get the exhaust port connection tightened down and looking just like the left hand port connection.

Is there some assembly trick that I'm overlooking here?  The amount of muffler/collector penetration that I'm getting isn't enough to make the correct seal.  Please help.  Cheers.

Lucky

Check this:
the exhaust is held in place mostly by the 2 bolts at the rear foot pegs, the front pipes & also at the rear Y pipe, but to some extent this one will move at the rear head.  is it possable that you have moved the entire exhaust slightly to theright & to the rear? try moving it forward, or loosening the footpeg bolts & see what happens.

Also, take a flashlight & peer into the opening at the collector, see what you see, perhaps some of the old seal was deteriorated enough to fall into the pipe, and is blocking the new seal from going all the way in..

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike