News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

My '83 V and the Dallas to New Orleans adventure

Started by ProfessorRex, October 09, 2006, 01:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfessorRex

I've been meaning to post for a while now, but it's Midterms time and I'm swamped. (Not to mention that the weather is fantastic and I just got an '83 vision, and CAN NOT STOP RIDING)

The Transaction:
As some of you know, I purchased mike's '83 vision from Dallas TX.  I saw it, he sent pictures, we talked, I had to have it, I had enough money, we talked more, I bought it.  I flew up to Dallas on monday morning (Oct. 2) and mike met me at the airport!  Anyone who's been to Dallas knows that's no small favor!  We drove back to his house.... the garrage door opened.... and there she sat next to Mike's Kawa.Concours. SHE LOOKED INCREDIBLE!  We chatted about the bike for a bit and then rode over to the bank to finalize the deal.  Wow, it rode nice! I was so excited that after the bank I spilled gas all over the bike just filling it up! Then we returned to Mike's house and finalized the paper work, loaded up the bike, and I was off.  Oh, I almost forgot to mention that mike GAVE ME his old tankbag!  Mike is a seriously great guy, and this was bar none, the best buying experiance of my life.

The Ride:
It was kinda long, 560ish miles.  Luckily my friend happened to be making the same trip in his jeep and we caravaned the whole way down.  The Bike was flawless, the conditions were flawless. UNTILL... The sun went down while I was on a Louisiana back road, and there were so many bugs It sounded like rain!  But after MANY MANY stops to clear my visor I arrived safely at home.

The Next Morning:
Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Covered in bugs:

Tons of work to get her sparkling:

Gorgeous and ready to ride:

Me and the vision:

LOOK AT THE SHINE!

Loving the new vision, EVERYTHING WORKS! EVERYTHING IS THERE!!! It's MAGNIFICENT!

Mike, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

Oh, and because it just cracks me up, here's 'H20' done up like a storm trooper (Yea, I'm awesome at photoshop)

Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

h2olawyer

Rex -

Great story!  Glad you had an uneventful ride home.  (Other than the bugs.   ::)  )  You got your new toy nice & clean, though.  Looks fantastic.

I know the real reason you went back to LA for school - CU's football team is terrible this year.   ;D  Losing to 1-AA Montana State & Baylor at home is nearly disgraceful.  Glad you got out when you did.  (Seriously, I think CU got a great coach & things will turn around in due time.)  Just happy to see the so-called "flagship" school of Colorado getting pasted by the types of teams that used to beat up on Colorado State.   ;D

Looking forward to working on your old V.  Should be an interesting project.  Not sure whether I'll post an 'as done' format or wait until the project is complete.  Whatever way I go, I'll have all the before, during & after photos (& videos) eventually posted on my website.

Enjoy the bike & your extended riding season.  Supposed to stay in the 40s along the front range this week with a couple days of snow forecast.  No accumulation expected but there will be some white stuff falling from the sky this week around here.  Great time to get started on the first V project.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

;D.....So, you really do have the Vision "BUG(S)"... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D... 8)
That is a beautifull looking "V"...Welcome "Home"... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

that is a nice bike, glad to see you got the bugs worked out  ::)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

the tank was empty when he got home, but at least his stomach was full...eeewwww!!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

MotorPlow

I think I see the Virgin Mary in the "Look at it Shine" photo.

Emjayw

Rex, she's lookin' good!  Ride safe and stop in and say hello when you're out this way again.  Mike (Emjayw)
AMA, Yamaha 650 Society, North Texas Norton Owners Assn.
'98 Concours

Coil Coyle

Quote from: MotorPlow on October 13, 2006, 07:30:50 PM
I think I see the Virgin Mary in the "Look at it Shine" photo.

Chris,
           It is Her!  :o

The Blessed Mother above the tree just admiring Rex's Vision.   8)

And Our Savior is there above the Handgrip, giving a Blessing to the clutch.   ::)   

Gratefully,

;)

coil

h2olawyer

Too bad she wasn't riding along the other night when he got clipped.  Maybe St. Christopher would have helped there as well . . ..

Hopefully, with everybody's help, we can get Rex's bike back to this fabulous condition.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.