Newbie here considering buying an 83 vision

Started by d0n, June 13, 2006, 03:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d0n

Hey people, I found an 83 vision locally advertised for $950 or B/O. It looks nice in the pics but I haven't seen it in person yet. Hopefully, tonight!

I do not know the mileage yet.

Is there anything specific I should look for when making my decision to buy. What is a ballpark value of a running 1983 vision?

Here's 2 pics of the bike.

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

d0n

A little more info... I'm 39 now. When I was in my 20's I bought a brand new 1985 suzuki gs550ef. Loved that bike.

In 2000 I bought a new suzuki hayabusa 1300. Loved that bike but so did the cops.  :'( I sold it after 12k miles so I wouldn't end up in jail.  :'(

Right now, I have a few smaller bikes... an 86 honda 250 helix, an 88 honda zb50 (with a new 125cc engine installed) and an 84 honda z50r dirtbike.

I'd like to get back into the "motorcycle" scene and I think a 550 would be perfect. Especially, a shaft driven, water cooled twin! Sounds like a great combo!

Brian Moffet

it's missing the lower faring, which is not a big deal.  From what I can see it doesn't look like it has the usual tank dents where the fairing hits the tank when it falls over. 

Look around the bottom seam of the fuel tank for signs of rust, usually means that the inside of the tank needs to be treated.   That seems to be a big problem on most of the Visions.  Also, bring a volt-meter and check to see what the voltage at the battery terminals is when you've got 3K RPM.  14.5 is probably about the best, and is a reasonable indicator that the charging system is in good order.

Brian

d0n

thanks guys... I just found out it has 20k miles on it. Mostly put on by the 1st owneer who bought it new in 85 as a left over. The current owners wife said no more riding. He listed it 2 weeks ago for $1155. Now he's listing it for $950 but says "cash talks". I'm probably gonna offer him $800 if it appears decent. Good deal?

I'm going to see it at 6pm tonight.  :D

Here's some pics of my little bikes.

I've been modifying the 88 zb50 over the winter. It's got a new 125cc 4 speed manual in it now. She'll do 70mph tops and is street legal even on the highways.

The 84 z50r on the left has been fun to fix up. I put some agressive tires on it and a new 49cc honda engine. The seat is at the upholstry shop now getting new foam and a new cover installed. It's a sweet little bike!

The other 84 z50r (on the right with white tank) is my next project. It runs good but needs some tinkering.

My 86 helix with 11k miles. Gets 70-75mpg and does 82 downhill!

Night Vision

Ten Most Common Vision Problems  (& their cures)

http://www.xz550.com/top.html

none of these "problems" are monumental. If the bike suffers any of these symptoms, you can try to leverage the price ($950 is a good price if the bike hasn't been abused / or has been maintained and has less than 30? 40K ?)

1.  Dead Battery/Stator Battery $50, Stator $150, R&R $20?
2.  Engine knocks below 2500 rpm clutch bolts, gasket, flywheel puller, yamabond $50
3.  Starter won’t turn, full of oil rebuild kit $40
4.  Fuel coming out the overflows see link
5.  The “Vision Stumble”see link
6.  Rear cylinder misfire see link
7.  Bike dies when put in gear see link
8.  Fuel tank & petcock leaks por-15 $35 petcock?
9.  Engine “hunts” at idle, hard to start or stallssee link
10. Misc electrical problems see link

you might be looking at $300-$500 if you need to do a lot to it.... Still would be a great $1250 ride

PS - careful you don't tell us where it is... we have very fast motorcycles and wads of cash  ::)
PSS - aha.. a clue... a clue

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

d0n

hahaha... No, I won't tell ya where it is! Until I buy it... then it'll be between my legs!  ;D

The bike has 20k miles on it and has just had the carbs rebuilt... according to the owner. I'll post some better pics tonight.

Night Vision

Quote from: d0n on June 13, 2006, 04:23:23 PM
hahaha... No, I won't tell ya where it is!

too late...judging by the type of soil and rocks in the yard, the house number, the insulated windows, the vinyl siding, the utility mark outs in the driveway, plate and your email address... I have you within a 100 mile radius of ______, __

don't worry, I can't get there by 6:00... go for it
;D

ProfessorRex

I saw it on craigslist, I know exactly where it is, and it's about ah... 2200+ miles from me. 

BUY IT, ENJOY IT, WELCOME TO THE ROV!

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

haunter

sounds like you should snag a good deal

that lil ZB looksfun!
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

kwells

I found where that bike is...muhahahahaha...man the internet is a great tool.  You're secret is safe with me.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

d0n

Brian Moffet

And as a favor, I've added you to the google map we maintain, so you better buy the thing!

YellowJacket!

oops!  I should have read the forum before I offered the guy $750.00 for it.  But, since we are all friends here and we have to protect our young, I'll sell it to you for $850.00.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: DaveTN on June 13, 2006, 06:09:18 PM
oops!  I should have read the forum before I offered the guy $750.00 for it.  But, since we are all friends here and we have to protect our young, I'll sell it to you for $850.00.  ;D

David

He He.

Just Kidding.

Good luck and welcome to ROV!!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

d0n

hmmmm... I just got back from looking at it. I forgot to take the digital camera.

It's got 22k on the clock but runs good. Will need new tires and the front of the seat is coming apart at the seam... maybe 4" wide.

The bike's been sitting outside for a while I think. All the alloy bits are pitted, the tops of the exhaust pipes are rusty, the forks are rusty, the chrome backrest is rusty, the front discs had some rust... etc etc The tank does have the small dents in it from where the fairing pushed into it and it's got a bunch of pits in the top part of the tank from a jacket zipper or a tank bag.

The inside of the tank has been creamed with something... whatever it is... is brown in color... like light brown paint.

I'm sure with some elbow grease I could bring the painted and chrome parts back to nice condition but the alloy parts that are deeply pitted wouldn't ever look good again.  :o :(

What should I offer?

Tiger

:) For what its worth....... ::) A lot of the work will entail some time & "elbow grease"....offer him $800.00 cash and "you will take it there and then" (show him the $800.00 in green backs).....go $850.00 tops.... ::) after all..He listed it 2 weeks ago for $1155. Now he's listing it for $950 but says "cash talks". ......it depends how desperate he is to get rid of the "V"...(foolish fellow  ::) ) Its your call.... 8)

;D       TIGER        8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

that's 800 cdn right?  :D ;D :D ;D

the creamy tank is going to need a strip and por job, little more than the $35

the rest is what is what is fondly known as patina...

83's are rare birds... and there are some vultures circling......

I agree with Tiger 800-850 would probably get it... HURRY
;D

Kevin

The brown in the tank is Kreem, If done properly, kreem is a good product and the tank may be fine. The alloy wheels and side covers and be wet sanded and polished to a mirror finish. These bikes have their quirks and everyone that owns one becomes vision wise. I see by your toys that you like to tinker. You will make a fine vision owner.Kevin ;D

d0n

Thanks guys... I made the owner an offer via email. We'll see how it goes.

Let the vultures circle!  ;D