MAC exhaust

Started by h2olawyer, March 29, 2007, 01:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Does anyone have a set of MAC exhaust installation instructions (if they even exist) that they could scan and either post or email to me?  I'll be changing the exhaust on Great Pumpkin next month.  Never really looked at MACs until I started trying to fix the leaky set on the ex Professor Rex bike.  If none exist, can I assume it's similar to auto exhausts?  Get the headpipes on each cylinder & work back from there, leaving all fasteners loose until all parts are connected as deeply as possible.  Then go back & tighten everything from front to rear?

I know I'll need new exhaust gaskets @ the heads, but are there any other parts / products that will make the installation tighter & less prone to leaks?

Thanks - in advance - for any help.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

zore

I bought a set of Macs brand smanken new from mac and the instructions had been a copy generation 293281091832019831209 and was unreadable.  Connect tab A into slot b.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

comatt

That is all I did with mine that other weekend.  I did use the Yamaha gaskets insead of the copper ones that were on it.  I got the gaskets from SCI, the same people that have the carb kits on ebay.  They are a green-blue color material.  If you can't find them I still have 2 let that I don't think I'll need.  I did not tighten the bolts too tight and nothing seems to be leaking.  I did it the same way you are suggesting.

I also had a couple of rust areas that I ground down to metal and painted with some of the flat black header paint.  Seems to work alright, you can't really tell unless you are up close. 

I also bought all new header and clamp bolts.  All of the bolts for the Mac are standard, not metric.   I noticed on mine that the one of the two on the rear bracket stripped the welded on nut, so I kind of jammed one in.  Hopefully it will hold until I can weld a threaded rod in place. 

comatt

h2olawyer

Thanks for the info.  Kind of figured it was pretty straightforward.  I hope the clamps on rhe rear cylinder of Great Pumpkin are still usable.  The ones on the other bike (that currently has the MACS) are shot.  The loose ring at the top of the "Y" pipe stay loose & rttling, no matter what I do to the clamps.

Nobody needed any muffler / exhaust sealing paste?

I will be doing a restoration on the MACS.  While I'm at it, what's the best way to tone them down a little - packing or modified baffles?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Im gonna be swapping exhausts on my bikes but my question is...should I remove the rear tire on both to get the exhausts off or is that necessary
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on March 29, 2007, 02:30:11 PM

I will be doing a restoration on the MACS.  While I'm at it, what's the best way to tone them down a little - packing or modified baffles?

ear plugs work good  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Quote from: kwells on March 29, 2007, 02:39:28 PM
Im gonna be swapping exhausts on my bikes but my question is...should I remove the rear tire on both to get the exhausts off or is that necessary

I did it without removing the tire.  Took a little finagling but got it off w/o any real problems.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Quote from: Night Vision on March 29, 2007, 03:18:57 PM
Quote from: h2olawyer on March 29, 2007, 02:30:11 PM

ear plugs work good  :D

Good one, N V.   ::)

I am not a fan of loud motorcycles - except on race tracks.  They tend to bring the reputation of all motorcyclists down even lower in the minds of much of the non-riding public.  They even make me grumble a little bit.  The number of towns enforcing noise regulations is also on the rise around here.  Most of those regulations state that any modified exhaust systems must not be any louder than the OEM system the bike was originally fitted with.

I may see about using the front MAC headpipe and getting some exhaust pipe bent to shape so it accepts a more modern sportbike can - then do something similar for the rear but run it out the left side - possibly adding in an equalization crossover pipe at the bottom of the rear headpipe.  That modification (if it even happens) is a ways off.  Want to get the bike running, stopping & looking good first.  The existing MACs are the most cost effective way to get that done.  Think I'll try some packing in it if I feel it's too obnoxious.

H2O

h2olawyer

Quote from: DaveTN on March 29, 2007, 03:44:29 PM
Quote from: kwells on March 29, 2007, 02:39:28 PM

I did it without removing the tire.  Took a little finagling but got it off w/o any real problems.

David

I need to remove the rear wheel to change the tire anyway.  Figured I'd do the exhaust then.  May also remove the swingarm to sand & paint it.
(I see a swingarm and I want to paint it black.)

H2O

Tiger

h20...I did them on the winter project, (Black Panther)....your correct, work from the front back. Prior to installation, renew the four exhaust gasket's, then install the front pipe. (Tip Time...If at this point you haven't re-installed the "Y" pipe (which you need 2 pair of hand's on one arm!!!)...put the "Y" pipe in from the top and install the rear MAC pipe to the "Y" and hang from the rear footpeg bracket...Align the "Y" pipe at the rear head and tighten the rear footpeg bracket up...this will enable easy installation of the two exhaust clamp's...(don't ask!!!)...) install MAC to front pipe and rear bracket's...yer set 8)

The packing for the muffler's is readily available at any decent bike shop and will help calm the MAC's noise level some ;)...I think I paid $15.00...Pull the baffles out of the MAC's (easier while on the bike), clean with a wire brush. open packing and cut to baffle length, roll packing onto baffle, but not tight, twist tie both end's with wire, re-install and then do the same again...DONE 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

Thanks for the hints & tips, tiger.  I'll make some calls tomorrow to check on muffler packing.  Can also order it from Dennis Kirk.  McMaster-Carr (I think) has the steel stuff - more durable / longer lasting.  However, it doesn't look too difficult to do, so I'll probably just use the glass stuff (itch, itch).

There is only one independent bike shop left in the area.  My favorite closed a couple years ago.  Second favorite closed over the winter.  At least the remaining one has been around a long time & seems busy every time I go out there.  They're also the most likely source for the muffler packing material.

H2O

Tiger

:)h...The fiber glass packing is in a sheet form and not loose 'n itchy. You can use steel wool.......but its louder than propper packing...If you have any problem's, I can pick up a pack and mail out ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

h2olawyer

Thanks again, Tiger.  If I can't get it locally, I can get some from Dennis Kirk - it's cheap & shipping is quick.

H2O

Tiger

:) Okedokee...Heres some info on the exhaust gasket's. I use these...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/YAMAHA-XJ550-XJ600-XJ750-SECA-XZ550-EXHAUST-GASKET_W0QQitemZ280088596830QQcategoryZ35595QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

8).......TIGER....... 8)

h2olawyer

Again, thanks - I saw those & was going to order a set.  Seem like the least expensive ones I've seen.

Since I've never been into this part of a Vision before, are those the only gaskets in that location?  I vaguely remember something about a copper gasket as well.  I could look at the parts diagram but I'm being lazy.   ::)

H2O

Tiger

Quote from: h2olawyer on March 29, 2007, 07:50:51 PM
Again, thanks - I saw those & was going to order a set.  Seem like the least expensive ones I've seen.

Since I've never been into this part of a Vision before, are those the only gaskets in that location?  I vaguely remember something about a copper gasket as well.  I could look at the parts diagram but I'm being lazy.   ::)

H2O

...They are all you need and they are decent quality... ;)

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on March 29, 2007, 07:50:51 PM

The only gaskets you probably need to worry about are the single gaskets that fit into the cylinder itself (one per exhaust) and the copper ring gaskets which fit between the down-tube and the Y-tube for the back cylinder.  I've always had a problem with exhaust leaks around these back rings at the top of the Y-tube.  I think I've gotten these fixed, but I know it's not going to last forever...  I got my complete set from DGY.

I have never had a problem with the long cylindrical gaskets where the collectors are (what are those made out of anyway???)

Brian  (those mac exhausts are starting to grow on me, uh oh..)

Lucky

I'm a little late to this party..

You can also get a box of Stainless Steel Wool from McMaster-Carr for packing.  it'll last 20 times longer than steel wool & you can blow it out with compressed air to renew it.

remember that you cant rip off a section of this stuff, you have to cut it or you'll shred your fingers!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

reckon

Quote from: Tiger on March 29, 2007, 07:28:13 PM
:)h...The fiber glass packing is in a sheet form and not loose 'n itchy. You can use steel wool.......but its louder than propper packing...If you have any problem's, I can pick up a pack and mail out ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

when working with fiberglass, rub TALCUM POWDER (baby powder) on any exposed skin areas.
the talc fills your pores so the tiny shards of glass fiber dont stick in the pores and make you all itchy. 

afterwards take a quick shower,....

no itchies
"if it's stupid but it works, it's no longer stupid"

Kenny

Hi H20,
  I have a set of Mac installation instructions I can Fax them to you if your still interested.
                         Let me know. cheers Ken S.

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92