News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

What is this wire for?

Started by yamaha405, December 17, 2004, 04:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamaha405

I'm not that good at exaplining things but i'll give it a shot, here goes...I originally bought my Vision from a friend of mine who had had it stolen from him and when he got it back, he never messed with getting it going  again. that when i taook it off his hands. the bike hadnt ran since 1986 and I raded a Hinda CRX with a cracked block for the bike whck had only 4,946 miles on it, original, now it has 5,000.  Well, how i recently got it going was from a friend. The thing that had been holding me up from getting it started was that the ignition had been all busted up and so there was no power. Well that friend that I talked to said i could just twist the four ignition wires togther and have power, well, sure enough it did. So i wired a kill switch in under the seat and had been driving it that way. well when my other friend recently crashed it, i started looking for the parts to fix it. I came across an ignition switch for cheap on ebay and snagged it last night. now that it is going to be hooked up correctly, im curious about what the fourth wire is for since there are only three at the connector. It is the red wire in the picture that splits into two wires. why is this? go to www.geocites.com/motoxdude24
then go to vision pics to see what im talking about. thanks a lot for however can help me and sorry for making it so long, ive never really said my story on how i got into the vision so  i thought i would now. If i confused you or anyhitng let me know, i just want to know why that red wire plits, or why the two red wires come into one, what ever you want to call it, thanks again Chris---

sdinino

Take a look at this diagram:

http://www.xz550.com/wiring_files/WiringDiagram.gif

The red wire carries power from the fuse box. It splits off in various places to supply power to different things. The split closest to the main switch would go to the radiator fan.

The blue wire carries power to the lights when the ignition is on, and the brown powers the ignition.

Hope that helps.

-- Steve D

Riche

Besides looking at the wiring diagram check out the rest of that site. Lots of info there. When I tried to print the wiring diagram it was hard for me to see so I built a pdf that prints it in three sheets on 8 1/2 X 11 paper. After printing I just overlaped them, matched up the lines and taped them. I'm going to put it up on the web for a few weeks. Grab it if you like it. http://home.nycap.rr.com/riche/VisionWire83.pdf

Lucky

Riche, can I put that on my site with Steve's?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Riche

Yes, right after it was built I sent it to in email but got no response. The thing is when your eyes get older the small print is hard to see, this makes it easier. I have access to large format printers so getting something that is easy for me to read is not a problem. But I;m sure there are other people on this board that share my eyesight problems and have access only to standard desktop printers. That is the reason for building the file.

send me a mail when you have it up then I can remove it from the web. My space is limited

Lucky

I probably didn't answer your email because if your addy isn't in my address box, it goes straight to junk mail.  i look at all of the subjects, but if i don't recognise it it gets deleted.  i've opened things that were not junk, and sometimes it LOOKS like it's legit, it's hard to tell.

put Vision, or XZ550 or something similar in the subject & i'll see it. if it says "Lucky" i might not.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black