News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

The XZ world is more complicated than I thought

Started by XZv2, April 22, 2007, 11:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XZv2

Hi, all,
years ago I bought an XZ550RJ that had been sold new in Canada, imported secondhand in Holland; engine and frame# are 11J-000426. RJ and 11J are easily understandable. All XZ550 sold in European countries were model XZ550 or XZ550S and all have model code 11U and engine/frame# starting with 11U-.
This week I obtained a "Genuine Yamaha Service Manual" on the 550 RJ and RK models. The book was published in Feb. 1986 by Yamaha Motor Corporation USA in California.
To my surprise it starts by mentioning that the model code of the XZ 550 RJ is 11H and the the RJ frame/engine-numbers start with 11H-000101 and that the RK engine/framenumbers start with 11H-100101.
I cannot find in the part of the manual on the RJ any mentioning of the different code (11J) for the Canadian bikes.
In the service manual for the European XZ are listed different versions for different countries, such as lower camshafts for some models sold in Germany.
Are there differences between US and Canadian RJ's except model codes and frame/engine numbers? 
XZv2   

h2olawyer

Not sure of other differences, but the speedo on US models has both MPH & KPH scales with the MPH more prominent.  The Canadian speedos I've seen have just a KPH scale.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

XZv2

Yes, H2O, my Canadian bike also has only kilometers.
It is so strange Yamaha used the 11H code for the US RJ bikes and the 11J code for the Canadian RJ ones.
Perhaps it has to do with the capped-off non-adjustable pilot system of the US bikes that made them a class of their own.
XZv2

h2olawyer

At the time, US emissions laws were fairly new and being strongly enforced.  Some of them even made good sense.  Yamaha may have designated  special model numbers to differentiate the final destination for their US bound bikes, making it easier for inspectors at the point of import to check them for compliance.  It may even have been a rule from the Environmental Protection Agency or Department of Transportation that US models have a unique identification.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Coil Coyle

Quote from: h2olawyer on April 22, 2007, 05:13:52 PM
At the time, US emissions laws were fairly new and being strongly enforced.  Some of them even made good sense.  Yamaha may have designated  special model numbers to differentiate the final destination for their US bound bikes, making it easier for inspectors at the point of import to check them for compliance.  It may even have been a rule from the Environmental Protection Agency or Department of Transportation that US models have a unique identification.

H2O

Thanks for the reference XZv2, I'm wanting the 11U clutch/primary gearsets then.
Is "Haben Sie einen vollständigen XZ550 primären gearset zum Verkauf, der Kurbelwellengang hat miteingeschlossen?" a reasonable request for the european gearset or do you have a better translation that I might use to inquire to the sellers on Ebay.de?

Gratefully,
;)
Coil

mdskinner731

i dunno.... i was wondering if there was 2 differnt speedometers that they had cause iv seen pics of em going to over 100 mph and others( like mine) only going to 80??? or sum thin like that... what did the different speedos mean???
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

ColinthePilot

my speedo goes to 140mph and tach redline is 10,000rpm(thats probably standard)
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

h2olawyer

The 83 US speedo shows up to 140 MPH.  The 82 only goes to 85.  (I can turn mine up to 11.  ;D )

The Canadian speedos are in KPH (US are large MPH #s & small KPH).

Haven't looked at any UK, So Pacific / Asian or Euro versions.

H2O

mdskinner731

soo i have a speedo from an 82 since mine only goes to 85????  mhm...
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano