Progressive Springs

Started by kwells, May 29, 2007, 02:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

I am going to upgrade to the Progressive front springs and was wondering if there were any other parts that I will need to do this swap besides new oil seals. 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

taank

where do you buy the springs and how much are they. also what are they supposed to improve?

kwells

I am going to get them from Denniskirk.com
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=null&catId=416&productId=p58962&leafCatId=41606&mmyId=9657
They improve the front end dive when hard braking as well as giving the front end a more predictable feel when pushing it in the turns.  The stock springs (especially 82) are renowned for being excessively soft.

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

there aren't any other parts required for the progressive springs upgrade unless your fork seals need replacing. Actually, if you have an 82, you'll have parts left over. You don't use the factory spacer. Do keep the round washer thingy that will go on top of the spring between the fork cap and the spring.

A couple of things to consider:

if you are just replacing springs, at least drain the old fluid and flush the crap out with new fluid.
if you are doing fork seals too, you can really flush the old junk out when you have the dampening tubes out and leg bottoms off. kerosene works good.. you'd be surprised how much gunk is in there after 25 years.

lastly, after you put the progs in, you might get a click in the forks.... one side or both... this is more of a nuisance than a problem. I got rid of mine by unscrewing the top fork cap, turning the spring to a different position, and putting the cap back on... you might have to do it a couple of times...

don't ask me why they click or why turning them gets rid of it. Lead Deficiency had the same problem, but I forgot to ask him if my fix worked for him.

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kwells

interesting thing to consider
My seals actually look good but I am going to replace them because they are the stockers and will be getting worse soon enough.  I like to save myself the future troubles if possible.
What fork oil did you go with on your progressives?

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

good idea to replace 25 year old seals....

I had 15wt in there and found them too stiff when the temps were around 50ish. I had some 10wt left over from when my bro did his forks.... so I took some leftover 15 and 10, and am running 12.5  :D Still a little stiff in the cool mornings, but good enough overall.

My brothers 82 with the progs, 10wt, and 83 shock with 3 and the dampener and 3 on the preload is set up quite well.

;D

kwells

To be honest I am less concerned with it being comfy and going for the best possible performance.  Does the 15wt track the road better than the 10w or basically the same?

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

I used 15 wt in my 1983 (and you'll have the spacers left over with the 83) and it works well.  I don't know about track stuff, I only have ridden it about 50 miles with the progressives so far.  I live in moderate California weather (coastal)

Brian

Night Vision

Quote from: kwells on May 29, 2007, 03:53:42 PM
To be honest I am less concerned with it being comfy and going for the best possible performance.  Does the 15wt track the road better than the 10w or basically the same?

It's hard to compare our two V's because they have different tires, carb/airbox setups and different rear shock setups. They are the same bike, but totally different.

I think my set up with the progs up front and a fox shox in the back tracks the road better (i.e. you feel more of the road feel the dips and bumps more) but his just "glides"... not sloppy, just nice and smooth.

you only need around 18oz of fork fluid... get a quart of 10wt. and try that. if it's not stiff enough for you... get a pint of 15 and mix equal amounts to get 12.5 wt.

Also, while you are doing all this fork work.... that's a great time to put on your fork brace. Have the front end up, wheel off, axle through (slightly tightened for alignment purposes), no springs in, no oil (except a thin layer on the new seal lips)........

when you compress the forks all the way up... they should fall back down under their own weight... no or very little stiction. then you put the fork brace on, and check that there isn't any binding... again no or very little stiction

;D

kwells

Will go with 10wt at first then and see how it feels.  I think the springs themselves being of improved design will do wonders.  Throw in the 83 rear and I should be doing just fine. 

That brings me to the next logical projects....BRAKES
I was looking at the available pads not too long ago but was never able to settle on a pair.

I am looking for the 'grabbiest' compound possible.  Once again I am less concerned with durability than least stopping distance.  I understand the 83 has superior performance but I'm not ready to swap out the front end just yet.  I am also already running the stainless steel braided line.

www.wellsmoto.com

Kenny

I have been using 15 wt fork oil for the last 20 years in our Visions along with progressive springs, this year I tried a 5/40 synthetic automotive oil -this is the best setup I have used to date.
   Check your fork tubes for any pits & imperfections while you have them out for the seal replacement. Be sure you place the tightly wound end of the spring up and I believe one inch of preload is required.
  I ran these mods on my 82 with a braided brake line,a fork brace and was happy with the braking / suspension performance.
                                                    Cheers Ken S.   
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Mutt

I would redo my forks but it's actually a safety thing. People that have met me coming towards them said it looks like I have a strobe light on the front. I have the Sylvania silver star bulb and evidently the springs are really springy. I like the challenge it presents as you dig hard in a corner.

All kidding aside, I plan on doing this upgrade and with a fork brace soon.

Mutt  :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Kenny on May 29, 2007, 10:04:10 PM
   Check your fork tubes for any pits & imperfections while you have them out for the seal replacement.

I cleaned up my forks with 0000 steel wool and followed that up with chrome polish once I had them apart.  That made sure they were clean, and then I checked to see if they were pitted at all where they went into the lowers. I do have some pitting, but it's all above the seal line.

Brian

kwells

as far as I can see when lifted up they look pretty smooth and shiny

www.wellsmoto.com